Is my cat pregnant?

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
6 weeks ago, my cat was in heat and accidentally got out for 4 hours while we weren’t home. There is a male cat outside that hangs around the area. What would a six week pregnant cat act like and do cats nipples always go dark when pregnant? She is a ragdoll and is really hard to see her stomach but when I gave her a bath, I saw her stomach stick out a lot from her side. She is also being very affectionate and meows every time I touch her belly. She also cleans herself a lot.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your cat is not spayed and got out while in heat she is very likely pregnant. She sounds pregnant from your description. How old is she? Do you plan to spay her after this litter?

Here are helpful links:

How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant?

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!
She is about a year old and I do plan to if she is pregnant. I just am not sure if she is. Her nipples are still pretty white but some are pink. I don’t understand why some could be pink and others not

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s not unusual for nipples not to pink up. Some cats don’t show much change in their mammaries until labor and delivery.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Ragdoll girl appears to be lilac point. Assuming that the male she mated with is solid blue,
  • If the father doesn't carry colorpoint, the kittens will probably all be solid blue.
  • If the father carries colorpoint, you could get either bluepoint or solid blue kittens.
  • You are unlikely to get lilac or lilac point kittens, since chocolate is a recessive gene that is relatively rare in the domestic cat gene pool.
  • Two longhaired parents will always produce longhaired kittens.
  • With a Ragdoll mother and a domestic longhair father, the kittens would be considered domestic longhairs.
Note that if your female got out and had unsupervised time outdoors, she might have mated with some other male, not just the one you expect is the father. Litters of kittens can also have more than one father.

Last edited:

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your Ragdoll girl appears to be lilac point. Assuming that the male she mated with is solid blue,
  • If the father doesn't carry colorpoint, the kittens will probably all be solid blue.
  • If the father carries colorpoint, you could get either bluepoint or solid blue kittens.
  • You are unlikely to get lilac or lilac point kittens, since chocolate is a recessive gene that is relatively rare in the domestic cat gene pool.
  • Two longhaired parents will always produce longhaired kittens.
  • With a Ragdoll mother and a domestic longhair father, the kittens would be considered domestic longhairs.
Note that if your female got out and had unsupervised time outdoors, she might have mated with some other male, not just the one you expect is the father. Litters of kittens can also have more than one father.
Thank you for explaining. What about the eye color, would some be blue because the dads is green. He is a big fluffy grey Siberian looking cat and also she only got out for 4 hours on accident.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The eye color will depend on the coat color.
  • Pointed kittens will have blue eyes.
  • Solid blue kittens will have green or gold eyes.
Four hours is plenty of time for a female to mate with multiple males, depending on the cats in your neighborhood. If her litter contains any of the following, you'll know that she found more than one boyfriend out there:
  • black, or black and white
  • tabby, or tabby and white
  • lynx point (tabby point)
  • tortoiseshell or calico
  • ... or any shorthaired kittens.

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My ragdoll, puffin accidentally got out of my house 6 weeks ago and there was a fluffy grey male cat that was hanging around. What are the chances they mated?

I haven’t noticed any heat cycle within the previous weeks but I did notice that she has been purring and wanting excessive amounts of attention

Just this week, I gave puffin a bath and she had her belly sticking out on the side further than it would if she was fat.

Also this week, I have noticed a large amount of sleepiness and irritability with her and she has been grooming her coat non stop. When she lays on her side she makes it seem like she is avoiding hitting the ground hard.

Her tummy feels hard and swollen

What would the kitten color outcome be between these following pictures of the mom and dad?

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that's the dad? That doesn't look like a tomcat. That cat looks quite chubby and also doesn't have the big muscular cheeks of a tom, so is probably a neutered pet. That doesn't mean there aren't other toms around though; tomcats will travel 5 miles if they smell a female in heat.

Also, it looks like a different female in this picture, as she appears to be a cream point, not lilac. Or is that just a stock photo as an example?

She almost certainly is pregnant---cats are extremely fertile and 4 hours is plenty of time for her to have gotten with several males. Feed her kitten food and read up on what to expect when she gives birth. You'll know one way or the other in 3 weeks!

If you want to know for sure sooner than that, she's far enough along for an x-ray or ultrasound, call your vet for more info.

Lutece gave a nice list of possible colors :).

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that's the dad? That doesn't look like a tomcat. That cat looks quite chubby and also doesn't have the big muscular cheeks of a tom, so is probably a neutered pet. That doesn't mean there aren't other toms around though; tomcats will travel 5 miles if they smell a female in heat.

Also, it looks like a different female in this picture, as she appears to be a cream point, not lilac. Or is that just a stock photo as an example?

She almost certainly is pregnant---cats are extremely fertile and 4 hours is plenty of time for her to have gotten with several males. Feed her kitten food and read up on what to expect when she gives birth. You'll know one way or the other in 3 weeks!

If you want to know for sure sooner than that, she's far enough along for an x-ray or ultrasound, call your vet for more info.

Lutece gave a nice list of possible colors :).
Hello it is the same cat, just better quality of a picture and the dad has already mated with another stray around our farm. He seems to have a lot of muscle mass and he is really big. I don’t know what kind of cat he is but he is really fluffy. There shouldn’t be any other male strays around the area because we live out in. The country and not in a neighborhood. My mom thinks my cat has worms and is not pregnant but I gave her a natural wormer a couple of months ago.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get the male cat fixed? That way no more kittens being born by him on your farm at least.

Jennarene16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t get him fixed because he will not let anyone near him. I’ve tried to lure him with cat food and gain his trust but it didn’t work.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a live trap. That's what feral colony caretakers do. But if you make sure to get all the females spayed, if you can't catch him at least he can't do much damage ;).

Anyway, if he was around and she got outside, yes, she's almost certainly pregnant.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fluffy cat on the chair in the picture is a blue tabby, not solid blue. So if that cat is the dad,
  • If he doesn't carry colorpoint or solid, you can expect all the kittens to be blue tabby.
  • If he carries solid, you could also get solid blue kittens.
  • If he carries colorpoint, you could also get blue lynx point (tabby point) kittens.
  • If he carries colorpoint and solid, you could also get bluepoint kittens.
  • Lilac based colors are unlikely, since it is unlikely that the father would carry chocolate.
  • You will know that another male cat mated with your girl if any of the kittens turn out to be brown tabby, brown tabby and white, black, black and white, tortie / torbie, calico, etc.