Is my cat pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mileka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, keep a close eye on them. If she is ill she may not nurse them and you will have to step in.

Did you contact your vet about her panting and vomiting?
No I was waiting to see if it happened again before I call. So far she seems ok and looked physically like her prepregnant self jogging in to get fed. She is just in love right now I just hear constant purring from their bed. Kittens are feeding and are very active! My male cat who is fixed is hanging about them a lot(he can’t get to them) I’ve been giving him their dirty bedding each day to smell hoping it will get him use to them. I’m also getting constant requests from family to take a kitten when they are ready which is great that I’ve trustworthy ppl to take them but how will mum cope if in 8weeks or so all her baby’s are gone? Should I keep one? I’ve got 2 cats and love them so much but I’m thinking of how costly it will be when they are older or sick. Sorry I’m ranting on but I just have no one to discuss this will at home. Thankyou for all advice

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s best for mom if kittens remain with her for 12 weeks to learn appropriate kitten manners. Make sure everyone is committed to spaying and neutering. Also, you can decide down the road if you want to keep a kitten. See how things go! :)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I was waiting to see if it happened again before I call. So far she seems ok and looked physically like her prepregnant self jogging in to get fed. She is just in love right now I just hear constant purring from their bed. Kittens are feeding and are very active! My male cat who is fixed is hanging about them a lot(he can’t get to them) I’ve been giving him their dirty bedding each day to smell hoping it will get him use to them. I’m also getting constant requests from family to take a kitten when they are ready which is great that I’ve trustworthy ppl to take them but how will mum cope if in 8weeks or so all her baby’s are gone? Should I keep one? I’ve got 2 cats and love them so much but I’m thinking of how costly it will be when they are older or sick. Sorry I’m ranting on but I just have no one to discuss this will at home. Thankyou for all advice
It doesn't cost anything to contact a vet for advice over the phone so there's no reason not to, especially in your situation where you have a Kitten who has had Kittens of her own. Cats are masters at hiding signs of illness, injury, or weakness, if there is something seriously wrong with her and you wait it might end up being too late.

It’s best for mom if kittens remain with her for 12 weeks to learn appropriate kitten manners. Make sure everyone is committed to spaying and neutering. Also, you can decide down the road if you want to keep a kitten. See how things go! :)
This is the best advice you'll get. Keep the Kittens with her until at the very least 10 weeks, preferably 12, this will let her teach them how to Cat. They'll also learn boundaries and when to back off by playing with eachother, taking Kittens away from their mother and siblings sooner than that often leads to behavioral problems.

One thing you'll probably have to struggle with is not interfering when you hear hissing, growling, etc. from them, just leave them to work things out on their own. If you hover over them and break things up every time one gets too rough with another they'll never learn.

Mileka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mum is doing great and 3 kittens thriving! We lost 1 kitten this morning 😭 it was the last one born and it hadn’t been feeding well and wouldn’t take any milk from me last night. The difference in size between it and the others was quite a lot. Hopefully the others will continue to do well but I’m really annoyed we lost little simba (my kids named it yesterday)

Lilpeanut

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet said to me after we took her home, when the 1st kitten was stillborn to count the placenta's, there should be the same amount of placenta's as kittens, if not and she doesn't pass them all, to take her back to the vet as it would make her very sick if she doesn't pass them all.... they start to rot and infection sets in quite quickly.
He said they usually get very lethargic, won't eat properly and vomit.... same symptoms people would get with a major infection.
How did everything go?

Mileka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet said to me after we took her home, when the 1st kitten was stillborn to count the placenta's, there should be the same amount of placenta's as kittens, if not and she doesn't pass them all, to take her back to the vet as it would make her very sick if she doesn't pass them all.... they start to rot and infection sets in quite quickly.
He said they usually get very lethargic, won't eat properly and vomit.... same symptoms people would get with a major infection.
How did everything go?
Thankfully she passed all 4 kittens and placentas. The last one the placenta was still inside and I think that was due to her being to tired to stand up but I held her on her feet and let gravity help it come out, which it did. Unfortunately it was this kitten that died a few days later. The other 3 are doing really well and the little eyes opened today.

Attachments

Mileka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long after birth can mum get pregnant again? We still have no way to get her fixed and I’m not sure how long this will continue for with covid19. I have mum and baby’s locked in a big cage for safety but once baby’s are settled I let mum out to get air and walk about the garden. My cats just stay in my garden and there are generally no other cats about although if she gos into season I’m sure things would change. I don’t like to permanently keep her locked up because she needs a break from baby’s but definitely don’t want her pregnant again.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It varies by individual, but can happen again very quickly :/. Is there any way to keep her inside or in a garage or shed? Maybe build a larger enclosure?

Most of the vets here are doing curbside service, are there any vets there who are doing that? I really can't imagine vets don't want to spay cats, knowing the consequences if they don't.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long after birth can mum get pregnant again? We still have no way to get her fixed and I’m not sure how long this will continue for with covid19. I have mum and baby’s locked in a big cage for safety but once baby’s are settled I let mum out to get air and walk about the garden. My cats just stay in my garden and there are generally no other cats about although if she gos into season I’m sure things would change. I don’t like to permanently keep her locked up because she needs a break from baby’s but definitely don’t want her pregnant again.
Just don't let her outside no matter how much she may want to, it's not worth the risk. Cats can get pregnant again within a couple months, and I've heard of Cats getting pregnant while still nursing.

Mileka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vets are only working on emergency basis although I think that’s due to change soon. I guess she will have to be kept in. I have no issue keeping her in but other family members can be forgetful which is how pregnancy happened this time. I imagined they would be protected while feeding.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat went into heat seven weeks after giving birth, but we’ve had cats on this forum who have gone into heat and disappeared for 2-3 days and the kittens were only 2-3 weeks old.

Mileka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We ended up getting a kitten returned to us and decided to keep her. She seemed to set the mummy into heat again perhaps because she started trying to feed again. We caught the mummy out mating so got her booked right away. So I now have 3 cats and things were going well until this week when my usually very placid boy cat has started attacking the mummy cat constantly! I feel so bad for her because she looks so sad and just sleeps upstairs constantly and never wants attention. She was fixed about a month ago and recovered well but has not been the same. She’s always alone and rejects any petting. Now the fixed boy cat has started this. any Ideas why this has started? He’s not aggressive to the kitten or anyone else.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats become more placid after spaying, but she sounds depressed. Perhaps it is her hormones adjusting. Is your male cat neutered?

Mileka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats become more placid after spaying, but she sounds depressed. Perhaps it is her hormones adjusting. Is your male cat neutered?
Yes he is neutered. She looks very sad ☹ she had an eye infection after spaying and started staying away from everyone and the vet seen it but said it was clearing up which it did. Now she is better I expected her to start going back to normal but she’s got worse and has the saddest face. I don’t understand why the male is being so horrible to her, she is afraid to go down stairs because he will keep attacking her. They always got on well until this week

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put him in a room alone and bring her downstairs to socialize for awhile. It sounds like she needs a boost.

If you catch him trying to attack her at other times, hiss at him. She may smell like the vet to him right now.