Is My Cat Playing Fetch?

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey All!

I have a 1 year old Siberian and she is awesome! She loves to play, and is very sweet. I am just curious about once facet of her behavior. Sometimes, when I'm in my office on the computer, she will run in with one of her balls or other toys and drop it on the floor and look at me excitedly. I will throw it and she will run and get it and bring it back. This will go on 4 or 5 times before she stops.

I am just curious whether I am reading this behavior wrong. Is she bringing me the toys because she wants me to throw them? If not, is she bringing them to me as a gift or something (or maybe just bringing them into my office to play there) and my throwing them annoys her, hence why she would only bring it back a few times?

Just want to make sure I'm not trying to look at her behavior and interpret it as I would a dog haha.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like fetch to me :) Dante will only fetch my hair bands. When he was a crazy hyper kitten he would do it 20 times and then get bored. I toss it in different directions if that helps? I always use the same phrase before I toss it "ready? ready?' So you may want to think of a fetch phrase. Now days Dante is a middle aged cat of 10 years and he will fetch 5-10 times then it is time for a new toy :) Enjoy it.
* You can also play soccer with your cats by giving their balls a light kick and letting your cat run after it, then wait for you to run after them to kick the ball back in the opposite direction.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had one who played fetch but only when I threw toys off my bed. She would jump down, retrieve it, and bring it back. It was great exercise before lights out!