Is my cat part Norwegian Forest Cat??

claudesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/15530337-philadelphia-pennsylvania-cat

I'm not sure if I have done this correctly (if not - someone please let me know the rules here)

I adopted CLaude 6 months ago - and I'm curious to his breed

The shape of his face - his body structure - and his fur - are pointing to NFC but mixed with something else

The tail is not as full as a NFC

Any experts out there - please comment - I love him whatever he is!!!  I'm used to Maine Coons - and had never really heard of NFC until Claude - and the family is just loving this poor guy!!  

THanks 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, how nice and excellent, even pretty, Claude is, he is no NFC.  They have quite typically triangularish heads.   My guess is, he is a real, pure  longhaired domestic, DLH...   grey with white, a grey tuxedo so to speak.   Or blue tuxedo  if you want to be a little more fancy.  :)

ashenshugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have an absolutely beautiful cat, but I have to agree that it doesn't appear to have any Weegie in him.

Weegies have a more triangle edged face bone structure and massively bulky and long back legs,

with almost 'wings' of fur/skin on the back legs.

They're like massive furry cuddly bricks.

From the face structure, I think you may, however, have a bit of Siberian in him.  It's a rounder face and lankier build.

For comparison, here's a pic of our Norwegian 'Pyewacket' (we have breeder papers) when he was 7 months old.

Notice the more angular shape of the face.

And here you can see a bit more of the leg length, paw size, and the common tuft of hair on the paws

common to Weegies, as well as some of his build.

Again, Claude is an adorable boy, but I think if anything it's Siberian, not Weegie.  Enjoy your fluff ball :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd tend to agree that while Claude is absolutely gorgeous, his facial structure is unlike most Norwegians, and he might well have some Siberian in him, though most modern long-haired cats trace a common ancestry back a thousand years or so.  The Norwegian has a distinct insulating undercoat almost like lambswool which makes the topcoat appear to "stick out" somewhat, giving rather the appearance of a cartoon cat filled with static electricity.

I don't believe that the term, "massive cuddly brick," is a proper CFA judging term, but it probably should be adopted, because they are just that - so strong as to be nearly immovable fur-covered objects eating anything which is not firmly nailed down.  Below's my poor, sad, starving Bob - so emaciated that he barely registers thirty pounds on the Vet's scale.  He needs a snack.

Stacimomof3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was wondering about my cat as well I was think Norwegian Forest Cat as well but not sure. He weighs a little over 16 lbs and is 32 years old. Here's a picture of him with my sister

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would like to see the face a little more trangularish and somewhat longer.
Also I have seen some good purebred Mco with such faces.

I cant decide. Perhaps more pics of jaw and face?

The size is more than enough for either of them.

Stacimomof3 Stacimomof3