Is my cat part Mau?

star keziah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

About four or five years ago, I adopted two cats from a shelter. I've long since harbored suspicions that one if them is at least part Mau (though I'd be very surprised if she were full). From all the research I've done, she seems to have a LOT of Mau characteristics, though she's more striped than spotted. She's definitely not a regular tabby; she doesn't have the bone structure or face shape of a regular shorthair cat, and her fur is sleeker as well. She's also got the extra flap of skin that Maus are known for having. I grew up around cats and I've known a lot of tabbies, and she's different—everyone I've asked has agreed with me.

It's actually a bit hard to capture in photos—it's easier to see in person. Nonetheless, here are some pictures of her. The first two are her as a kitten, the second two are her at about a year old, and the last one was taken a couple weeks ago.

In case it helps, here's a quick little video of both of my cats from a couple years ago. I was standing by the drawer where I keep the cat food scoops, so they thought my iPod was food. :D (And even if it doesn't help identify her, it's still precious!)

Would any of you be able to tell if she's part Mau? It doesn't really matter in the long run; I don't care about showing her or anything, and it won't make me love her any more or less than I already do :] I'd just like to know if I'm right or not! If she's not part Mau, I wonder what she might be. (What can I say? I'm a curious one.)

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, that is classic tabby patterning. She's a gray tabby. No Mau there. Her bone structure looks exactly like Porter's. Other than the fact that Porter has white socks, she could be his twin. He's just taller and thinner than other people's domestic shorthairs that I've met. Maybe it's because I don't free feed him and he was neutered younger than most people neuter their cats (most people wait until they're a year old! I don't get that... but those hormones DO contribute to the animal's growth). 

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, that is classic tabby patterning. She's a gray tabby. No Mau there. 
Tabby, yeah, but mackerel tabby. Classic is more swirly.

She has got nice big ears and a slender body. She's a domestic shorthair, and I can't see any particular breed, but plenty of domestic shorthairs are unique in appearance--random-bred cats may tend toward your basic plain brown tabby, but there are plenty of colorful possibilities.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

star keziah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! I guess she's just got enough slightly unusual traits to add up into looking different to me. Mystery solved! I'd bet anything you're right about her size—I adopted her from the shelter when she was two months old, and they spay and neuter all animals before they adopt them out. She also likes to nurse on fleecy fabric; we think that's probably because she was separated from her mother too soon.

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again Star, Glad to see you found your way here
welcome to The Cat Site.