is my cat part maine coon?

barny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a quite large and weighs about 7kg. Large paws and ruff of thick fur around neck and large upright bushy tail. He is very vocal and chirps and trills more than meow, I have never had a pet to look affter before but his characterstics do seem more dog like and follows me around the garden to keep an eye on what im doing. He is 12 years old and I like to find out more about his breed if any one can help..

Last edited by a moderator:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably not but I do see he has quite the pronounced muzzle which Maine Coons do have.  Has he been neutered? If not then I'd just chalk it up to hormones since Tom cats usually have that very jowly appearance.

His ears aren't those of a MC but it is a possibility when you have a cat that's so large and fluffy.  He's quite handsome, that much I know for sure!  I'd love to see more photos which show his tail off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply . Yes he has been netuered?. I will upload some more photos of his tail, once I can figure out how to attach photos to the same thread

barny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The answer is yes.   I wont say he is a purebred MCO "whom did come loose", he is more probably one of the naturals from whose the MCO were purebred from.  but definitely this type of cat yes.

What is somewhat unusual here, he seems to be a spotted tabby.  While this isnt unique among general tabby population (although NOT common), its rare among the Maine Coons.  They are usually striped tabbies, occasionally classical tabbies (bulls-eye).

So if he isnt a Maine coon for real,  THIS feature is the main proof...   A paradox, no?  His unique preciousness makes the proof he isnt  no Maine Coon, just a very nice look alike.

barny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response. Yes I could not work it out. after researching I had thought he may have some maine coon in him based on some of his features and personality but I was not sure. This is the first cat I have lived with and was really interested to find out more about his breed. he is such a cute fellow and love him to bits. so you think he may be part maine coon?