Is my cat “large” or average size?

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is my first cat, and most other interactions are with community cats. He seems big to me, but I’m not sure if he just seems big because of how small he was when we got him, or if he is actually a larger cat. He is larger than the community cats I see, but he has much more care & nutrition.

we did have to buy new trees/litter box etc as he grew because the ones we bought initially he outgrew. But not sure if we just happened to buy small brands or if we need to be more conscious in buying itemlabeled for larger cats.

He’s a long haired domestic (the fluff may add to the size) from the streets. No specific breed, just wondering how he compares to other house cats.

he weighs about 15.5 lbs, and is healthy & a good weight/shape. Basically impossible to measure him, but I’ll add pics for reference

IMG_2422.png
IMG_2143.jpeg
70559251440__610A977A-7B42-4183-BF3C-C892DE68B236.jpeg
IMG_0649.png
IMG_2352.jpeg

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say he is on the larger side, not as big as something like a Mainecoon but larger then an "average" cat. My current cats range in weight for about 6lb to 16lb but on average domestic house cats are around 8-12lb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's one great cat to let you get that many pictures of them and in so many spots, I would say he sure has made himself at home. He's gorgeous (I don't know enough about size to comment but he is a beautiful cat).
i think we got so lucky with such a beautiful boy! And he definitely made himself at home lol every nook and cranny of this place is his now. He’s even started opening all our cabinets 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣🤣
IMG_2259.jpeg
IMG_2451.jpeg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful and quite tall. My tabby is. She's 9 pds. I have long storage bins for litter box

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would call him a big breed. especially since it sounds like he's quite young still. he may well get bigger than that. big breeds tend to keep growing til they are four or five. he's gorgeous. poor baby has one eye :( it looks like it doesn't slow him down tho. I see plants in the foreground there.. you want to be very careful with things he might nibble on a lot of house plants are toxic to kittehs.

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would call him a big breed. especially since it sounds like he's quite young still. he may well get bigger than that. big breeds tend to keep growing til they are four or five. he's gorgeous. poor baby has one eye :( it looks like it doesn't slow him down tho. I see plants in the foreground there.. you want to be very careful with things he might nibble on a lot of house plants are toxic to kittehs.
I usually check for toxicity before placing plants out! Thank you! I have been surprised how much is actually toxic for cats! Much more than dogs.

He had lost the eye before we found him, but he definitely doesn’t let it stop him 🤣

I can’t believe they can grow for that long 😱

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I usually check for toxicity before placing plants out! Thank you! I have been surprised how much is actually toxic for cats! Much more than dogs.

He had lost the eye before we found him, but he definitely doesn’t let it stop him 🤣

I can’t believe they can grow for that long 😱
what is his personality like? does he go limp when you pick him up? he might have a healthy dose of ragdoll in there.

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what is his personality like? does he go limp when you pick him up? he might have a healthy dose of ragdoll in there.
He does look very ragdoll to me! But definitely no limpness being held 🤣🤣 he does NOT enjoy being picked up. I guess he didn’t get that trait lol