Is my cat Japanese Bobtail?

guit4rheroine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in New Brunswick, Canada. I recently adopted a kitten, the only one from the litter born with a stump tail and japanese bobtail coloring. The others were all black, tuxedo and grey. She has a face that is a perfect triangle, and her back legs are considerably longer than her front. She's quite vocal, making chirrup noises every time I interact with her. She has oval green eyes. I'll attach some photos.

I know the chances of her being a purebred bobtail are like... none. But what do you all think about the chance of her at least being a partial? She'd have to have the recessive gene that causes the stump tail mutation and as far as I know only a few breeds carry it. 

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bobtail gene exists in the general cat population, not just purebreeds. Now, if there was a lot of immigration from Japan to your area, it's possible some people brought their cats---and Japanese Bobtails are just Japanese street cats after all! So maybe. But it could also be pure chance that she got the high white mi-ke coloring plus the bobtail gene. No way to know for sure.

She's adorable for sure!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, she's so sweet!

I have several cats that carry the bob-tail gene. (I live in Japan, most of the feral cats around here are bob-tails.) They come in pretty much every colour and you get short and long tailed kittens in the same litter. Does her tail have bends and kinks in it? Japanese bob-tails always have a slightly curled tail.

Her colouring reminds me of my latest rescue, Happy.

She has a long tail that bends over at the end.

What's your new kitten's name?

Last edited: