Is My Cat Healing Fine From Her Spay Surgery?

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my 1year old cat spayed (after being diagnosed with pyometra) 8 days ago, she was on antibiotics for a week after. She recovered nicely, active eating and drinking and being herself 2 days after. I gave her pain and fever syrup for 4 days and stopped it since she seemed fine. For 2 days now she seems a bit lethargic as if ahe has a fever, but plays if interacted with. Does her incision look healthy? Could this be the symptom of anything serious?
20180408_103857.jpg
20180408_103849.jpg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The incision looks fine. Lethargy can be a reaction to pain, is she still eating okay?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its always so hard to tell from a photo, for me at least. Normally cats will heal fine from a spay. However there are occasionally some serious issues. My white cat had very serious issues. Looking at her site, other than a little drainage you really couldn't tell there was much of a problem, but there was, underneath. I am always one to vote, if you are concerned, run her by the vet for a check! Better safe than sorry, and catch any issues early on.

Hoping all is well, keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its always so hard to tell from a photo, for me at least. Normally cats will heal fine from a spay. However there are occasionally some serious issues. My white cat had very serious issues. Looking at her site, other than a little drainage you really couldn't tell there was much of a problem, but there was, underneath. I am always one to vote, if you are concerned, run her by the vet for a check! Better safe than sorry, and catch any issues early on.

Hoping all is well, keep us updated.
Thank you, im so sorry to hear that.. what issues did ur baby have if u dont mind me asking?

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The incision looks fine. Lethargy can be a reaction to pain, is she still eating okay?
Thank you for responding, She's eating very well actually even has an increased appetite since the surgery. She seems better this afternoon she's more herself, active and doesnt want to stay confined but rather walk and play around!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't see anything worrying in the picture. It's pretty normal for an adult cat to take a few days to bounce back from spay. I would just keep an eye on her.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Incision site looks normal to me to. If she continues to be lethargic, stops eating, or anything you think is questionable, call the vets office for some advice. They may ask you to bring her in or can offer advice over the phone.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, im so sorry to hear that.. what issues did ur baby have if u dont mind me asking?
In part i think she was spayed too young by the rescue, a few days before i got her. they said she was 8 weeks, my vet thinks she was more like 6 or maybe 7 weeks.

I took her to my vet the day i got her, her site was infected and he thought she was having a reaction to the suture material as well. He went in and cleaned everything up. She was too young, too active, and the reaction to the suture materials caused infections and dying tissue. My vet had to do clean up surgery on her 3 times total. The last time he kept her in the clinic for two weeks, confined to a small cage so she could not play, and he could check her a few times a day. We were afraid we would loose her, and honestly my vet said he saw problems with spays on cats that people brought from shelters now and then, but never a kitten with problems as bad as hers. Im not knocking low cost spay clinics, or shelters, the are very much needed, and do a great service! But they do rush, and maybe use cheaper suture materials, no antibiotics, things like that, which for some cats can cause a problem. Anyway, her surgery site never looked really bad to me, just not right. and i did occasionally see some drainage. Its hard to tell whats going on with the stitches and stuff underneath, unless you a vet and know what to feel and look for i guess. My husband kept telling me, no need to take her back again, she looks fine, eating and playing. But i knew something was wrong, each time, so we kept going back in. and its a good thing i was paranoid about it, otherwise i think i would have lost her. That's why i always recommend, listen to your inner voice. It doesn't take long to run them by for a quick check by the vet.

My vet did the spay on my black rescue girl, she was about 6 months old, and went into heat right after we got her. kept going into heat, so the vet said she would do the surgery anyway, more time consuming and delicate if in heat, but still safe. We have a husband and wife vet team :) I brought her home the next day, you could barley tell she had surgery, looked more like a wrinkle or something on her tummy, as opposed to the big black sutures and incision on my little white kitten when i first got her. The black cat never had a lump, or any issues at all. I took her back in for her week check up, but never worried at all with hers, it just never looked bad, or off.

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for the responses, She seems totally fine no lethargy or worrying symptoms, active and playful, drinking and eating to her heart's content, plus being off any meds so no pain is being masked:) If things keep going like so I'll wait till her appointment to take out the stitches which is in 5days

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In part i think she was spayed too young by the rescue, a few days before i got her. they said she was 8 weeks, my vet thinks she was more like 6 or maybe 7 weeks.

I took her to my vet the day i got her, her site was infected and he thought she was having a reaction to the suture material as well. He went in and cleaned everything up. She was too young, too active, and the reaction to the suture materials caused infections and dying tissue. My vet had to do clean up surgery on her 3 times total. The last time he kept her in the clinic for two weeks, confined to a small cage so she could not play, and he could check her a few times a day. We were afraid we would loose her, and honestly my vet said he saw problems with spays on cats that people brought from shelters now and then, but never a kitten with problems as bad as hers. Im not knocking low cost spay clinics, or shelters, the are very much needed, and do a great service! But they do rush, and maybe use cheaper suture materials, no antibiotics, things like that, which for some cats can cause a problem. Anyway, her surgery site never looked really bad to me, just not right. and i did occasionally see some drainage. Its hard to tell whats going on with the stitches and stuff underneath, unless you a vet and know what to feel and look for i guess. My husband kept telling me, no need to take her back again, she looks fine, eating and playing. But i knew something was wrong, each time, so we kept going back in. and its a good thing i was paranoid about it, otherwise i think i would have lost her. That's why i always recommend, listen to your inner voice. It doesn't take long to run them by for a quick check by the vet.

My vet did the spay on my black rescue girl, she was about 6 months old, and went into heat right after we got her. kept going into heat, so the vet said she would do the surgery anyway, more time consuming and delicate if in heat, but still safe. We have a husband and wife vet team :) I brought her home the next day, you could barley tell she had surgery, looked more like a wrinkle or something on her tummy, as opposed to the big black sutures and incision on my little white kitten when i first got her. The black cat never had a lump, or any issues at all. I took her back in for her week check up, but never worried at all with hers, it just never looked bad, or off.
Aw I'm so sorry she had to go through that its always too painful to watch them suffer:( so happy she pulled through tho ❤❤ thanks for the advice!!definitely better safe than sorry!

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20180409_154955.jpg
what her incision looks like today (day9)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When do you take her back to have the stitches out?

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for the responses, She seems totally fine no lethargy or worrying symptoms, active and playful, drinking and eating to her heart's content, plus being off any meds so no pain is being masked:) If things keep going like so I'll wait till her appointment to take out the stitches which is in 5days
That sounds like a relief! Glad to hear she is feeling better. Getting her stitches out should be a quick and painless procedure for her.

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been spayed 11 days ago and is going back to the vet to take her stitches out in 3days. Does her incision look healing fine and ready to take stitches out? Is there any sign of infection I'm missing? (she's 1 year old and a couple weeks)
20180411_124726.jpg
20180411_124852.jpg

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
--UPDATE--
My baby is healing pretty well! Her skin's all glued back together and she's having her stitches taken out soon, she's active and playful and eating/drinking as good as ever! Thank you all so much for the help!