Is My Cat Having Any More Kittens?

jmariex3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat went into labour today around 1pm... she gave birth to a beautiful ginger kitten but unfortunately she was dead and i couldnt revive her... she then gave birth to another which was also dead. she had the last kitten around a hour and a half ago and her contractions seem to have stopped. however it still feels like there is one in there. this is her first litter and im devistated both of her babies have died. is it possible she will have another. if she does pray its alive!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pauses happen. If she is ok no visible troubles its just observe but calmly wait and see

But I guess she is done. There are often swellings making owner believe one may be left.

If she is healthy you perhaps want to take orphaned foster kittens?
This way making a tragedy into a victory?

J jmariex3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmariex3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pauses happen. If she is ok no visible troubles its just observe but calmly wait and see

But I guess she is done. There are often swellings making owner believe one may be left.

If she is healthy you perhaps want to take orphaned foster kittens?
This way making a tragedy into a victory?

J jmariex3
she hasnt had any more but shes acting very strange... she is meowing all the time and sitting in her birthing next just licking herself all the time. x

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so very,very sorry. Those little ones and the mama deserved so much more. I'm sure she is crying for her babies. they might have been premature, did they have lots of hair? do you know how far along they were? Can you call your local shelter vand see if there are any kittens that need a mom? I'll pray for you all, and for those sweet angels that never knew life, my heart is broken.......

jmariex3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mine is too :( but yeah they had plenty of fur and they were a very good size for newborns... my cat isnt very big so i think they might have died on the way out... my cousins cat just had 3 healthy kittens which they are finding homes for so she said we could adopt one. i know it wont be the same for my cat but she is a mother without babies so hopefully having one there will make her feel better x

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, are you suggesting taking a newborn away from its litter and mother for your cat?

Please do not do this. The existing litter and mother should stay together. Kittens benefit immensely from having littermates and staying with their mom for 12-14 weeks.

Your cat is grieving now, but will be ok in a few days. Finding orphan kittens through a shelter or rescue would be a wonderful thing to do, but taking another kitten from its mom isn't, unfortunately. I know your heart is in the right place.

If you don't decide to find foster kittens, would you like help finding a low-cost clinic to spay your cat?

jmariex3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, are you suggesting taking a newborn away from its litter and mother for your cat?

Please do not do this. The existing litter and mother should stay together. Kittens benefit immensely from having littermates and staying with their mom for 12-14 weeks.

Your cat is grieving now, but will be ok in a few days. Finding orphan kittens through a shelter or rescue would be a wonderful thing to do, but taking another kitten from its mom isn't, unfortunately. I know your heart is in the right place.

If you don't decide to find foster kittens, would you like help finding a low-cost clinic to spay your cat?
oh no... i wont be taking the kitten away for a good few weeks.. just my cousin is looking for loving familys for the kittens when its time for them to leave there mother.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no... i wont be taking the kitten away for a good few weeks.. just my cousin is looking for loving familys for the kittens when its time for them to leave there mother.
That's great. The kittens should stay with mom until 12 weeks at least.

Do let us know if you'd like help finding a place to spay when you're ready. It will help your girl to calm down, and will help with any cat introductions/cohabitation in the future.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took them to be older, you mentioned finding homes for them. Your little girl will be blessedly forgetful of losing her little ones in a week or two. that is how long I have observed my own take to stop mourning.