Is my cat Egyptian Mau?

jomomma6810

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got an 8 week old kitten from the shelter the other day and thought that he looked funny. Not like your typical domestic cat so I did some research on his characteristics and found the E-Mau. He has big ears and beautiful green eyes. He also has the broken necklace and spots on his fur and skin. Here are some pictures of him.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is very cute but looks like a typical brown tabby domestic shorthair.
His eye color may still be changing from the baby color to adult.

ziggy mau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's very cute, but the spotted coat of the Mau is only on the ends of the hair shaft.  Shave a Mau and he would have no spots. Your new baby is most likely a domestic short hair.  An all around great cat!

dshmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cute but looks pretty typical of a grey tabby.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very cute, but the spotted coat of the Mau is only on the ends of the hair shaft.  Shave a Mau and he would have no spots. Your new baby is most likely a domestic short hair.  An all around great cat!
Really, I never knew that. Learn something new everyday
. Thank you, for, teaching me something
. I thought, a Mau's spots, where, like a Savannah's spots. Meaning, the spots, where on the skin of the cat.

Lastly, is the cat, in your avatar, you're Mau? If so, maybe, when you have time, you could post photos?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really, I never knew that. Learn something new everyday
. Thank you, for, teaching me something
. I thought, a Mau's spots, where, like a Savannah's spots. Meaning, the spots, where on the skin of the cat.

Lastly, is the cat, in your avatar, you're Mau? If so, maybe, when you have time, you could post photos?
Maus are silver, so the undercoat is silver (pure white), there's no pattern in the skin, just in the tips of the hairs. All of my cats would be just plain skin color too if'd shave them (they're not Maus but silvers).
 But then again I'm not sure if brown tabbies have spots in their skin either? Now I'm confusing myself..

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ocicats are patterned on the skin, even the white undercoated silvers

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown tabbies have the spots on their skin. I know because the last time I had a kitty spayed, I was admiring the cute little tabby buttons on her shaved belly :lol3:.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ocicats are patterned on the skin, even the white undercoated silvers
That's interesting. I had to double check Tomu (the only spotted one I have) and no spots/darker color to be seen in his skin.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't be seen unless shaved on mine, parting the fur really doesn't reveal anything. Folds could be different though

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't be seen unless shaved on mine, parting the fur really doesn't reveal anything. Folds could be different though
Tomu has had a small area in his front leg shaved by a vet about a year ago, I could only see pale skin without any darker areas even though his feet have stronger pattern than his sides.

Then again Utu has had his tummy fur shaved due to very hot summer last year and the year before that and no spots to be seen. He's registered as a shaded silver but is really more a spotted tabby with bad contrast.

Luna is a black silver shaded point, so no color in her skin either, but if a part of her fur is shaved from her side or back, it'll grow back with black tipping when it originally was seal brown tipping in her back & sides (face, tail and feet are black).

Last edited:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown tabbies have the spots on their skin. I know because the last time I had a kitty spayed, I was admiring the cute little tabby buttons on her shaved belly
I was going to say that, but, you beat me to it
!
Maus are silver, so the undercoat is silver (pure white), there's no pattern in the skin, just in the tips of the hairs. All of my cats would be just plain skin color too if'd shave them (they're not Maus but silvers).
 But then again I'm not sure if brown tabbies have spots in their skin either? Now I'm confusing myself..
I have seen silver Bengals, that have rosettes and or spots on the skin. Just like my Savannah. I know, Silver Savannahs, have spots on the skin. I guess, it just depends on the breed/type of cat, but really, in this case, I don't

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say that, but, you beat me to it
!

I have seen silver Bengals, that have rosettes and or spots on the skin. Just like my Savannah. I know, Silver Savannahs, have spots on the skin. I guess, it just depends on the breed/type of cat, but really, in this case, I don't
I googled some 'lion cut' pictures. Seems like silver Persians don't have any pattern in their skins, but other colors do. Weird.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect it depends on how the pattern is formed. Since the Mau is apparently only spotted by the very tip of the hair, not banded hair shafts like the Ocicat.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect it depends on how the pattern is formed. Since the Mau is apparently only spotted by the very tip of the hair, not banded hair shafts like the Ocicat.
Tomu has banded hairs too, even Kuura, the shaded silver, has some banded hairs. I feel temped to shave Tomu..