Is my cat crazy ?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I have a litter box sitting near a wall and everytime  Bella finishes her business she scratches the wall thinking she is covering  the litter up.I have moved it away from the wall many times, 

Is this normal behavior for cats to do this ?

dejolane

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My younger cat has been a bit iffy on burying his poop from the day I got him. Sometimes he will jump out of his sterlite litterbox and start scratching the hardwood floors like he's trying to bury something. I used to think he had a piece of something stuck to his paw, but I have checked multiple times and there is never anything there. I chalk it up to weird litterbox behaviors. He's been doing it on and off forever, so I don't worry about it.

kafeid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is normal for some cats to get confused and scratch at surfaces near their litter boxes. When I had cats with this behavior, I just kept the box away from the wall.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine likes to "rake" the whole area in front of the box. He looks very serious while he tidies up. I handed him the Swiffer once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe its because when I moved in August instead of buying another litter box, I decided to  a red tote which I had my Twinkies in. Do you think that could be why she acts likes this ?

dejolane

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's perfectly normal. The cats aren't 'confused' this is just something cats do. No one knows why, cats are mysterious creatures with their own ways of doing things. :D

Ootay :angel: scratched everything after going. Litter to bury, but also the walls, the newspaper around the box and so on. Scratch scratch scratch for 5 or more minutes. Jennie does this too, again for a good five minutes. It doesn't bother me but apparently it bothers Queen Eva because if it goes on too long Queen Eva goes down there and chases Jennie out of the litter box area. :lol3: