Is my cat choking on food repeatedly?

stellabug

street cat-turned-seafood connoisseur
Kitten
Purraise
TLDR: seems like my 5 y/o cat is choking on dry foods occasionally starting 1 month ago, how urgently does she need to see a vet?

This has happened 3 times in the past month, each time immediately after eating something crunchy. She crouches down on her front legs and stretches her head forward (picture attached) and makes this raspy, almost wheezy sound with every breath. Her breathing seems forceful and her mouth is closed the whole time. It lasts less than a minute, then just stops and she is completely back to normal. It seems like she is trying to cough something up, and I'm worried she is choking? I've had her for 2 years and have never seen her do this before. This isn't how she normally acts when she vomits (which is rare), and she hasn't had a single hairball since I adopted her. She is otherwise in her normal state, eating and drinking well, getting zoomies, making biscuits, no changes in litter box use. I don't know if she is coughing, choking, gagging, or something else?

How urgently should she be evaluated? We are visiting family a few states away from our vet. Should I take her to an emergency vet or try to find a vet who will see her soon? Or can it wait 2 weeks until we can see our regular vet? I would be so appreciative of any insight!

Unsure if this is relevant, but I will include her health history for completeness. She has plasma cell pododermatitis which is currently well-controlled. She was treated with doxycycline for 12 weeks and has been medication-free for 3 months. Otherwise, she is a healthy, happy cat :)

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
There is no way I can say how urgent it is to get your cat checked by a veterinarian. Obviously he needs to be seen, But why and how soon I can't say.

When you were giving the Doxycycline, how were you administering it? If given directly it can cause esophageal strictures.

It could be feline asthma. He is about the right age for developing it and with the other inflammatory disease, who knows.

It could be something unrelated to either. It is hard to say if it warrants an emergency exam without being there. If your cat is not in urgent distress an it doesn't sound like he is, I would, maybe just call the nearest vet and ask for an opinion. which of course they won't tell you, but at least you can maybe get an idea of what their schedule is like.

Sorry, not really helpful here. Just make sure if you take him to the vet, mention his history and his previous medications.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellabug

street cat-turned-seafood connoisseur
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
There is no way I can say how urgent it is to get your cat checked by a veterinarian. Obviously he needs to be seen, But why and how soon I can't say.

When you were giving the Doxycycline, how were you administering it? If given directly it can cause esophageal strictures.

It could be feline asthma. He is about the right age for developing it and with the other inflammatory disease, who knows.

It could be something unrelated to either. It is hard to say if it warrants an emergency exam without being there. If your cat is not in urgent distress an it doesn't sound like he is, I would, maybe just call the nearest vet and ask for an opinion. which of course they won't tell you, but at least you can maybe get an idea of what their schedule is like.

Sorry, not really helpful here. Just make sure if you take him to the vet, mention his history and his previous medications.
Hi - thank you for your input. It is more helpful than you know!

I gave her doxycycline tablets in pill pockets. Our vet said I didn't need to follow with water since the pill was covered, so I didn't... of course I am second-guessing that now. Do you think pill pockets are sufficient protection? Is it normal for esophageal strictures to present a couple of months after stopping the medication? And do you know if you would expect symptoms of esophagitis at some point preceding stricture formation? I have been having a hard time finding much information on this online - sorry to queue so many questions!

Do you have any tips on differentiating coughing vs hairball/vomiting vs choking and true respiratory distress? Any red flag symptoms I should look out for?

Thank you again. I think I will call our vet this morning to see what they recommend.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say the Pill Pockets would protect the throat, i know my cats just swallow them down without even chewing. I have two cats with breathing problems. One because of allergies and one because of lung problems. I have them both on Zertec, 5 mg, or half a pill once a day. it has helped some. You might ask your vet about it. my cats do that exact same thing as your cat. the diagnosis your cat has can be aggravated by allergies too, so it may help. I wouldn't say it is an emergency. just monitor closely and if it gets worse bring the cat in. If it is a spasm, and not a food blockage, the cat (and humans) will breathe normally after they become unconscious and the esophagus relaxes. It is scary though, and you have to check closely to make sure there is no obstruction. I pray for the best, please keep us up to date!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is very limited information out there documenting esophageal strictures in cats due to medications. The biggest study to date involved 4 cats. While I think it is great that they are not inducing esophageal strictures in hundreds of cats, it still isn't a very good study with so few cats.

I have seen it before but it was a long time ago and I don't remember all the details as it wasn't my case.

In the future, I would always follow any medication with a small amount of water being very careful not to cause the cat to choke on the water. Just like 1 cc of water from a syringe.

I doubt that the doxy caused any problems. If it was wrapped in a pill pocket it would be ok unless she somehow bit into it. Its so hard to know the right things to do sometimes. I mean, sure, its great to chase the pill with a little water, but what if that means extra stress to your cat and maybe you won't be able to give the pill next time. So, use your best judgement.

Cats will usually cough what sounds like they are trying to cough up a hairball. But they never actually cough one up. Sometimes they can also make high pitched noises like my older boy cat does. So, unproductive cough usually would lead one to think asthma. It is an easy diagnosis. Just a chest radiograph. Cats don't usually cough with heart disease. They can of course cough for other reasons.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the asthma cough pose it’s probably not linked to the eating. Make a vet appointment and try to video the cat cough.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I know nothing about asthma but my cat Coco can only eat pate. Not shredded,minced,cuts,or dry food. Her teeth are fine. Otherwise,she would have trouble eating. She has thrown up twice in 6 years! Happy,healthy,ball of fur