Is my cat Chinise Li Hua or ordinary domestic cat ?

emiliaanfisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guys, my cat looks like Chinise Li Hua, but i'm not still sure is he. All descriptions fits him: his coat is short and thick brown mackerel tabby, there is black rings encircle the legs and tail, and the tip of the tail is black, eyes are yellow,  ears are medium-sized sharply pointed and tufted and he's a talented hunter of rats. The only thing that separates him from the Li Hua is that he has a white collar and what i have read that Li Hua doesn't have any white spots. I live in Finland, and Li hua is very rare breed and it's difficult to find outside China. So how he have came here in Finland when there's only four of them in United States.That's  one of the reasons why I doubt that he is an ordinary domestic cat, even he looks SO MUCH like Li hua. What you think ? Hopefully you understood my english. 

View media item 209552

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Erm..... I do not see the Chinese Li Hua in your cat. Beautiful boy though :rbheart: Your cats head shape looks wrong for a Chinese Li Hua.
Also I think your cat actually has a " classic tabby " pattern not a mackerel tabby pattern.

Beautiful boy but I think he is a domestic shorthair :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emiliaanfisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, i get it. The head should be more like rounded, right ? When watched the Cats 101 Animal Planet - Chinese Li Hua video i noticed that the cats coat in the video was little bit different  than my cat, but i was still hopeful that he could be  Li Hua, because many of the descriptions fitted to him, like tufted ears and that Li Huas are talented hunters.  Anyway, thanks a lot for your response !! :) x

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with that breed, but is it perchance a natural breed--that is, was it bred from a population of cats that naturally developed that set of traits, and was then refined to become that breed?

Because if that's the case, your cat's resemblance to the breed could be more like cousins than descendants--some cats from that original Li Hua ancestor population went on to become purebred Li Hua, and others stayed random-bred, but always resembled their Li Hua cousins.

We see the same thing with Maine Coon cats here in the US. There is a population of large, dense-furred cats that isn't Maine Coon, but resembles them, in the US Northeast, because those were the cats that the original Maine Coon breeders started out with. People often come here wondering if their cat is a lost or mixed-breed Maine Coon, because of the resemblance. They aren't Maine Coons, though; they are more like Maine Coon cousins. I just call them big floofy cats. :)

So, maybe your cat is sort of a cousin to the breed?

By the way: I would like to remind you that no cat, domestic or otherwise, is ever ordinary!

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Li Hua are Chinese street cats :D. So of course street cats in other countries will look similar? He's a handsome boy!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aha, a natural breed! I didn't even know it existed. I checked and apparently they started the breed in 2010, so it would still be quite rare. I think my "cousin" theory is the right one for this kitty. :)

glablazuu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Must say your cat is a handsome one and he come marry my "possible " li hua . I'm posting a few pictures because she fits the description very closely

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You arent  asking, but Im telling - this here is a diluted tortie, and tabby too, thus a diluted torbie...

Last edited by a moderator:

glablazuu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do " torties " reach 20 lbs " ?
Also her tail is 1/3 the length of her body and is not cut

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
G glablazuu

Torbie/tortie is not a breed. It is a description/coat color. StefanZ was pointing out that your cat does in fact have the coat pattern that is described as a torbie. Thus she does not fit the requirements for a Li Hua.

Her breed: Domestic short hair
Coat pattern: Torbie

Last edited: