Is My Cat Bored?

mystcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I have a Russian Blue which stays alone for the most of the day. After my 8-hour shift, i have few more things to do that keep me away from home so she is alone for 10-12 hours per day.
When i'm home, i usually work or read something on my laptop. i

We do have few 15 min play sessions during the day and i'm constantly trying to be "involved" in her life by calling her, talking.. or just come to her for a few minutes petting. She sleeps next to me.

I live alone in 70m2 apartment so she has space, few large windows to observe from, balcony, lot's of toys and stuff. I really try to provide her with everything she needs. But, i have a feeling that it's just not enough for her and that she is lonely in general.

Each day, when i come from work, she greets me with some sort of sad meow. RB's are vocal and stuff, maybe i'm wrong but i think that is some sort of sad meow.. long , same tone.. in combination with half-sleepy look.

She will come to me few times during the day and then we play. basically, it is always her that initiate it. when we play, it is ok but i have a feeling that she is not fully into it anymore.
She is intelligent and she gets bored of toys ultra fast. i can have her occupied with one toy for a day, max two. Apartment is full of toys but it is just getting harder and harder to get her in that "crazy" state when she chases like crazy and burn out in 15 mins :D .. we chase each other around the apartment and that was interesting to her few days but now she is not into that anymore as well..

Most of the time she looks like half-interested, she meows "sadly" during the day as well. every time i call her, i get that sad meow back from her.
She is 6 months old now and first 3 months of her life, she lived in full house - 3 people, mom and dad, dog...

In general, she is shy, gentle and reserved..maybe everything i wrote is just part of her character but i need to be sure in that as it really makes me sad just to think about how she is being "tortured" here with me :(

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound tortured at all - we have some mournful meowers and sometimes we tend to project human emotions. You give her attention and play, so it sounds like you are doing great.

She may be missing the other people and animals. You could get her a companion, or mix up the toys. The best success I have with Olive is Da Bird, a fuzzy Da Bird attachment and combine that with a ripple rug. SnugglyCat Ripple Rug Cat Activity Play Mat

It sounds like she has a very attentive and caring owner, I think she is lucky to have you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think she's being tortured living with you. And her meow greeting, is probably more of a "you're home!", than a sad meow.

Of course, after living in a house with more people, plus the dog, she might be finding it lonely. Is getting a second cat an option? If so, she's probably a good age to get her a sibling. But, if it's not a possibility, lots of cats are only cats, and do fine. And, some cats thrive being only cats.

Here's a few TCS articles that might have some tips for you.

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystcl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replies and links!

I tried to bring second kitten when she was few weeks with me. It didn't go well. She didn't eat or use her litter box... Basically, she didn't want to have any interaction with new kitten. that lasted for 2 days and then i decided to give kitten back to her previous owners.