Is My Cat Bored Of Her Food?

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Korin doesn’t want to eat her wet food anymore. I feed her nutro cuts in gravy. I vary the flavors. She just smells it and tryes to bury it and leaves. She is only eating her dry food now.

I feed her half wet food in the morning, 1/3 cup of dry food, and the other half of the wet food in the evening.

Is she bored of her food? Do your cats get bored of their food?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Farrell was a kitten, I gave her a lot more food (all wet meals) than she would eat while she was growing. She got picky from that and would pick only the pieces of food she preferred. Once she turned a year, I only started offering her the set calories she needs to maintain a healthy weight. Now she eats every bite of every meal I serve her. Are you offering Korin more calories per day than she needs?

Misfit, my 50/50 backyard/indoor feral who comes in to eat meals has gotten very picky for up to 5 days several times. Sometimes she will eat kibble when she won't eat the raw food I make. On two occasions, she wouldn't eat anything for several days. I don't know if she gets bored, or if she's filling up on insects and lizards while she's out. Plus there are people around the neighborhood who leave food out for the community cats.

My third cat Tangent will anything, any time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When Farrell was a kitten, I gave her a lot more food (all wet meals) than she would eat while she was growing. She got picky from that and would pick only the pieces of food she preferred. Once she turned a year, I only started offering her the set calories she needs to maintain a healthy weight. Now she eats every bite of every meal I serve her. Are you offering Korin more calories per day than she needs?

Misfit, my 50/50 backyard/indoor feral who comes in to eat meals has gotten very picky for up to 5 days several times. Sometimes she will eat kibble when she won't eat the raw food I make. On two occasions, she wouldn't eat anything for several days. I don't know if she gets bored, or if she's filling up on insects and lizards while she's out. Plus there are people around the neighborhood who leave food out for the community cats.

My third cat Tangent will anything, any time.
I don’t think I’m over feeding as per the recommendations on the package. She is in no way overweight, she only goes out on a leash.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always fed some nutro as well. the nutro minced chicken and the sliced turkey. They were really hard to find for a while, thought they were discontinued. They can be found again, but my cats seem off of them as well, i dont know if maybe they changed something? They said something about problems with a supplier?

And yes, i think cats can get bored with their foods. when it happens with mine i put it in the back of the pantry and try again in a few weeks.

I switched over to American journey minced poultry flavors that i get from Chewy. I replaced the nutro i was feeding, at least for now with the american journey. Cats took a few cans before they started eating it, but now they are quite happy with it. I do sprinkle some freeze dried chicken breast treats on top when they act picky, this often helps them get started, then they dig in. If you have a pet store nearby Nulo also has some minced flavors that are simular to the nutro, my cats like the Nulo too.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish inhales Nutro Cuts, but she only gets them twice a week.

Ailish does get bored. When I did an elimination diet she got nothing but Ziwipeak Venison for 10 weeks. She liked it, but after about two weeks she started to get grumpy about it. In about another week she settled down. I have noticed when I happen to be rotating something she REALLY likes with something that is just OK she will sometimes not finish the "just ok" in the hopes that the good stuff will be up next.