Is my cat aging prematurely?

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted my adult male tabby from the pound when he was "about" a year and a half old - their estimate. When I took him to my vet, though, he thought that kitty might've been a little younger.

Even at the year and a half estimate, he's only 9 years old now...hardly geriatric. But my husband and I have noticed the past few months that if given a choice, kitty will pull himself up onto things (couch, boxes, etc.) rather than jump. If he has no choice (object is too tall, like the bed), he will occasionally jump. But he sure does a lot of pulling up...my husband calls him "the old man." He seems so stiff, but he doesn't act like he's in pain. I can pick him up from a dead sleep and while he's stiff, he starts purring right away and snuggling up to me. He does still occasionally romp around the house.

Is this stiffness normal as cats age? Isn't he a bit young to be like this, or are some big lazy cats just...lazy?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by julia123

I adopted my adult male tabby from the pound when he was "about" a year and a half old - their estimate. When I took him to my vet, though, he thought that kitty might've been a little younger.

Even at the year and a half estimate, he's only 9 years old now...hardly geriatric. But my husband and I have noticed the past few months that if given a choice, kitty will pull himself up onto things (couch, boxes, etc.) rather than jump. If he has no choice (object is too tall, like the bed), he will occasionally jump. But he sure does a lot of pulling up...my husband calls him "the old man." He seems so stiff, but he doesn't act like he's in pain. I can pick him up from a dead sleep and while he's stiff, he starts purring right away and snuggling up to me. He does still occasionally romp around the house.

Is this stiffness normal as cats age? Isn't he a bit young to be like this, or are some big lazy cats just...lazy?
Has he been seen by a veterinarian? If not, that would be my first stop. If he has been seen by a veterinarian what type of tests has he had? What where the results of the tests? Is he overweight?

I would guess that he might have some underlying muscular, muscular-skeletal, or skeletal issue. It might even be a nerve issue. But again all those are just guesses on my part as a veterinarian technician.

I do think he is a bit young to have the issues you described.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd second the recommendation for a vet visit. Cats are wicked good at hiding pain and if your boy is being this obviously careful with himself, I'd say there's something going on.

Good luck!!!

AC

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Clyde started doing this, and it turned out he had an abscess (from playing with Smudge) that burst right after he started this. It was a HUGE HUGE sore, so I agree, there is probably a reason SOMEWHERE, whether his paws (maybe he got a claw stuck and is nervous now) or his muscles or skeletal system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, the vet sounds like a good idea!