Is My Cat Afraid Or It's Just His Personality?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macncheeserocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something interesting that has come from studying cat personalities is they have loosely divided them into what they call tree dwellers and ground dwellers. Tree dwellers like to be up high overlooking things. They love cat trees and regular trees and also the top of cabinets, the roofs of houses, anything that is up above other things. Ground dwellers like to be underneath things like under beds and furniture and under blankets. What is interesting is that in terms of hunting each type has it's advantages. Being up high lets them see things moving through the grass so they get an overview. Hiding under things, like in deep grass lets them ambush what ever comes walking by. Sounds like you have a ground dweller and ambush expert. He will likely prefer to chase after things like a string that moves past him as he waits in ambush. Jumping into the air is not his style.
Another thing you can count on is that preferences and personality quirks will change. Cats never stay the same for long, until they get later on in life. They will just decide that "today I don't like this spot anymore" and they will move on to something else. I have some that are lap cats and some that don't like it, almost as though it's a distraction from what they really want to do, which is??? anything but that right now. They appear to be experimenting with life to find a better spot but never content that the last better spot is really the better spot or just OK for now. At least they don't migrate in the spring and fall.
I have to say that I was not aware of tree dwellers and ground dwellers before reading your reply. Now a lot of Kent's behaviors actually make sense because he is indeed a ground dweller! Thank you so much for all of the helpful information, I was so worried earlier cuz I just assumed all the cats are tree dwellers!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macncheeserocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Second the feeder idea! I put bird seed on my deck so my cats have squirrel TV
This picture is just precious! Looks like all the three cats are having a great time!