Is my cat a torbie or a normal mackerel tabby?

mgardner899

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I’ve always wondered about my cats coat pattern and yesterday my coworker said she looks like a torbie. I’ve wondered before if she was a torbie but Im not sure. Her coat pattern is mostly consistent with a regular mackerel tabby but she does have some subtle splotches of orange and a couple orange toes. I’ve attached a picture of her and her litter mates as well in case it can help with determining. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!
35D14DA0-E126-4502-8636-C0FA6DC0B705.jpeg DB46DAC5-6689-466D-B72F-516498EAC3FC.jpeg F3EE19A6-5BE5-4C5F-A401-8B67025C3956.jpeg 8986D857-A01A-47C1-965C-E4FBC7DA3F46.jpeg CB69B1B8-5A3D-4F48-BD5B-DB51D16CC945.jpeg 55B6F87F-7727-4DF0-AD0A-4341F11F30F8.jpeg D3986BEE-D94D-4665-856A-03E013C04C77.jpeg
BBE680DC-F2C2-40F7-8B65-55EBBC354996.jpeg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, torbie. That orange toe gives it away! My mom has a torbie like that, very pretty.

Are the kittens hers? If so, that's another clue---only mama cats with orange on them can have an orange kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mgardner899

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, torbie. That orange toe gives it away! My mom has a torbie like that, very pretty.

Are the kittens hers? If so, that's another clue---only mama cats with orange on them can have an orange kitten.
Aww good to know!! they’re not her kittens they’re just her siblings but that’s interesting, her mom must’ve had some orange then!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, some of the toes being orange toes are a telltale. (unless the cat has white feet, than its its not as sure). Also, she has a reddish splotch on the forebrow. Its another common telltale.

The grey kitten with the visible splotch on the forebrow, is that her? If not, she is torbie she too.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous 😻 and does look like a torbie to me as well. She also has what looks like very orange stripe near her face and a bit of a tortie blaze on one side of her nose in one pic maybe.

mgardner899

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, some of the toes being orange toes are a telltale. (unless the cat has white feet, than its its not as sure). Also, she has a reddish splotch on the forebrow. Its another common telltale.

The grey kitten with the visible splotch on the forebrow, is that her? If not, she is torbie she too.
wow, I didn’t know that the orange toes were such a prominent feature in torbies! All of the pictures are of her, and in the picture with the other kittens she’s the one in between the grey and orange cat. Some of the lighting in the pictures are weird so the colors between each picture may be a bit different 😅

mgardner899

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is gorgeous 😻 and does look like a torbie to me as well. She also has what looks like very orange stripe near her face and a bit of a tortie blaze on one side of her nose in one pic maybe.
Thank you!! 😸

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's for sure a torbie. Some have more orange than others. Also, markings can vary depending on if they are a tabby mackeral or classic. Here are some examples of my torbies (kitten was a foster). The first two are classics, the last one is a mackeral. Because Ceriah is a mackeral you can see more black in her compared to the other two. Some torbies will have orange stripes too. Like brown tabbies (or black tabbies really) they can be more grey in appearance or more brownish. Some can differ depending on the lighting (like Ceriah does) too. Usually, they will have both light and dark orange, some can have more light orange while others more dark orange. Felice had more dark orange compared to Ceriah. Your girl is stunning :) Oh in that pic with her siblings the one with the most white is also a torbie.

2017-12-07 18.28.43.jpg
Oriolebell14.png

20210201_124025 (2).jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow, I didn’t know that the orange toes were such a prominent feature in torbies!
It's not so much that they're a prominent feature; that's just one of the easiest ways to identify some orange patches. If it's on her body or head you can say "hmm, is that really an orange patch or just a rusty spot?" but those orange toes are unmistakable.

mgardner899

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's for sure a torbie. Some have more orange than others. Also, markings can vary depending on if they are a tabby mackeral or classic. Here are some examples of my torbies (kitten was a foster). The first two are classics, the last one is a mackeral. Because Ceriah is a mackeral you can see more black in her compared to the other two. Some torbies will have orange stripes too. Like brown tabbies (or black tabbies really) they can be more grey in appearance or more brownish. Some can differ depending on the lighting (like Ceriah does) too. Usually, they will have both light and dark orange, some can have more light orange while others more dark orange. Felice had more dark orange compared to Ceriah. Your girl is stunning :) Oh in that pic with her siblings the one with the most white is also a torbie.

View attachment 412910View attachment 412911
View attachment 412912
OH they’re all so gorgeous!! Thank you for the input, it’s very helpful! 😸