Is my cat a tabby cat or a Chinese li hua

Ayden Gilleo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would really like to know if my cat is a tabby cat or a chinese li hua. He is around 20 lbs and likes to just lay places. He is my best friend and we chill together sum times.That's basically all I have to say lol.

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Black (brown) Brocken mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. No specific breed or mix of breeds. Tabby is a pattern, not a breed 🙂

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Unless you live in China it's extremely unlikely that you have a li hua cat.

Without a known history he's considered a Domestic Shorthair (DSH). His color/pattern is as Maurey Maurey said, Brown (broken) Mackerel Tabby. Yes, he's a big cat, but that is not an indication of breed. Domestic cats come in all shapes and sizes.

What is his name? I'd love to see more pictures of him.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you live in China it's extremely unlikely that you have a li hua cat.
To add to this, there are only 7 remaining Li Hua cats in the USA, to my knowledge, and all of them are neutered and in or near their teenage years — the oldest is around 16. The breed was never advanced by the CFA (attempted ~2010-2015, only around 10 altogether ever existed in the USA), so all the people who had imported cats ended up neutering them.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really like to know if my cat is a tabby cat or a chinese li hua. He is around 20 lbs and likes to just lay places. He is my best friend and we chill together sum times.That's basically all I have to say lol.
I think he is a dsh brown tabby, what a beauty too 😻 If you are in China he could have some ancestry if he has an unknown background because the Dragon Li or Chinese Li Hua was a natural breed there for thousands of years believed to have originated from the Chinese mountain cat, which has not been proven or disproven.
I did a collage for comparison. They are described as having a diamond shaped head with a smaller chin, but rounded at the sides, green, yellow and brown almond shaped eyes, tipped ears, a ring on the tail, a strong, muscular body, and a striped tabby pattern with a special golden brown color.

E18EB636-7D10-49CC-B6E4-20DE04C2CE70.png

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just want to add, your tabby seems to have enough of spots some will count him as a spotted tabby, not just a broken mackerel. Sometimes its not easy to decide. Which it really is, is important only for breeders; whom must know what exact gene their cat has... And for these participating in shows, weree its good to have a proper description.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes its not easy to decide.
Spine lines. Solid lines means broken mackerel, broken/spotted lines mean spotted tabby. With these photos, hard to tell, but I can see a small bit of his spine lines in one of the photos. Spotted tabby is also pretty uncommon in randombred cats.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks to be a DSH to me. At 20lbs he might be overweight, if you can't feel the spine or ribs he is and should be placed on a diet. Being overweight he wouldn't want to move too much as it is painful on the joints, especially for older cats who get arthritis.