Is my cat a Solid black Ragdoll?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told that no reputable breeder will sell them as Raggis. I have heard of someone getting one from the breeder as is. No papers no mention of Raggi , just plain kitten. Same as with puppies that do not qualify to the standard of respectful breed. Then, I guess you always find people who are selling bridges and the people who are willing to buy them.
I don’t buy into the idea that anyone who sells/ breeds a non standard cat is not “reputable”. It is a certain set of people who are deciding what the standard is going to be and they have made numerous bad calls that caused health issues. Often moving away from what the original cats looked like and breeding for more extreme looks. The site I posted says they are a tica registered breeder.

Selling cats as x breed with no papers etc., not being a verified breeder and claiming they are x breed is another story.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t buy into the idea that anyone who sells/ breeds a non standard cat is not “reputable”. It is a certain set of people who are deciding what the standard is going to be and they have made numerous bad calls that caused health issues. Often moving away from what the original cats looked like and breeding for more extreme looks. The site I posted says they are a tica registered breeder.

Selling cats as x breed with no papers etc., not being a verified breeder and claiming they are x breed is another story.
You are probably right I’m relatively new to cats. (Grown up in show dog world) when I did decide to get purebred cat I did my research but I approached it the way if I was buying a dog (probably wrong) . In that world (dogs) you have breeders who are upholding the standards and breeding true to the breed and you have breeders who are (experimenting and bettering the breed , conformation color size… ) But you are told in front and that is reflected in price, the puppies that were not keepers were offered for a fraction of a price With a clear warning and fixed . As for a Ragdoll my understanding is that only acceptable eye color is blue. The offered kittens are advertised as rare and more valuable when in reality they are … lesser quality so to say. This is why I said not reputable. I have no problem with neither as long buyer knows what he is getting. sorry, I’m learning as much and as fast as I can. Any input is more than welcome. I mean it!!!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are probably right I’m relatively new to cats. (Grown up in show dog world) when I did decide to get purebred cat I did my research but I approached it the way if I was buying a dog (probably wrong) . In that world (dogs) you have breeders who are upholding the standards and breeding true to the breed and you have breeders who are (experimenting and bettering the breed , conformation color size… ) But you are told in front and that is reflected in price, the puppies that were not keepers were offered for a fraction of a price With a clear warning and fixed . As for a Ragdoll my understanding is that only acceptable eye color is blue. The offered kittens are advertised as rare and more valuable when in reality they are … lesser quality so to say. This is why I said not reputable. I have no problem with neither as long buyer knows what he is getting. sorry, I’m learning as much and as fast as I can. Any input is more than welcome. I mean it!!!
Many people would disagree with me I am sure. There is the same idea of upholding a breed standard. My problem is the breed standard was not upheld imo when they totally change the look of the cat or dog, which has been done.

But that is my belief and there are reputable breeders who sell/ register non standard cats. The standard is a standard that is followed for show cats, for instance there are 3 types of siamese head/ body shapes etc. but only one is accepted for shows in many cat associations. But many reputable breeders still breed the old style and or classic and register them as siamese because that is what they are and a lot of people prefer that style. That doesn’t make them not the breed by any means.

There was a dispute over ragdoll breeding, the original breeder who you may have read about restricted breeding to her own association for a long time. Then there was a break and at that point someone, I have forgotten who now, decided they could only be pointed and with blue eyes. In NFC they won’t allow points but in Siberian cats they do but call them Neva Masquerade.

We had a pembroke beagle years ago from a farm breeder in Canada, her parents were champions and showed competed etc. , she was my bff forever from 3 years of age. I don’t know what any of the standards were then, things were so different back then I am sure.

Last edited:

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many people would disagree with me I am sure. There is the same idea of upholding a breed standard. My problem is the breed standard was not upheld imo when they totally change the look of the cat or dog which has been done.

But that is my belief and there are reputable breeders who sell/ register non standard cats. The standard is a standard that is followed for show cats, for instance there are 3 types of siamese head/ body shapes etc. but only one is accepted for shows in many cat associations. But many reputable breeders still breed the old style and or classic and regsiter them as siamese because that is what they are and a lot of people prefer that style. That doesn’t make them not the breed by any means.

There was a dispute over ragdoll breeding, the original breeder who you may have read about restricted breeding to her own association for a long time. Then there was a break and at that point someone, I have forgotten who now, decided they could only be pointed and with blue eyes. In NFC they won’t allow points but in Siberian cats they do but call them Neva Masquerade.

We had a pembroke beagle years ago from a farm breeder in Canada, her parents were champions and showed competed etc. , she was my bff forever from 3 years of age. I don’t know what any of the standards were then, things were so different back then I am sure.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I read the history of the breed and that lady was little …… nutty, lol. She did started something great (my Bash is a cat like no other, I swear sometimes I’m afraid of him, lol) And I agree with you things need to move and progress. It’s me!!! ev little bit I get stuck in the old ways and have to kick start my self to move forward.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes but they are only “lesser” quality because someone decided they don’t fit a standard, in reality they have the heritage of the breed and are great cats, as are all the cats on the street who need homes who have no pedigree etc. but I digress, if you don't want to show your cat, and don’t care if they fit the designated standard and prefer a different look, go for it imo.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I read the history of the breed and that lady was little …… nutty, lol. She did started something great (my Bash is a cat like no other, I swear sometimes I’m afraid of him, lol) And I agree with you things need to move and progress. It’s me!!! ev little bit I get stuck in the old ways and have to kick start my self to move forward.
Bash sounds great, sounds like his siamese heritage is coming through 😹

Judasmoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am just curious as to whether my cat is at least partly a solid black ragdoll. I adopted her from a rescue centre. She is on the small size but her coat is soft and silky abd she is very friendly like a dog! :)

Hey do you think our cats could be related??? I have a cat named melody she’s a kitten she was born last year and I swear this picture looks just like her. Here’s what she looks like

Attachments

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am just curious as to whether my cat is at least partly a solid black ragdoll. I adopted her from a rescue centre. She is on the small size but her coat is soft and silky abd she is very friendly like a dog! :)

Wow gorgeous! Not a ragdoll but he's a black smoke domestic long hair (considering he doesn't have a pedigree). Very stunning boy😻😻