Is my cat a Solid black Ragdoll?

katayl88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am just curious as to whether my cat is at least partly a solid black ragdoll. I adopted her from a rescue centre. She is on the small size but her coat is soft and silky abd she is very friendly like a dog! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a gorgeous cat, l love the black fur with the perfect gold eyes.

l don't think Ragdolls come in black. According to Wiki (sorry, l have no experience with Ragdolls 
) they can be -  "red: seal; chocolate; flame; and the corresponding "dilutes", including blue, lilac, and cream"

She looks like a black DLH, or Domestic Longhair, and is quite stunning.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very pretty black domestic longhair! Her physical structure doesn't really remind me of a Ragdoll, and her coat texture doesn't seem to represent Ragdoll characteristics. I am not a breeder nor show cats, so I may be wrong however.

Andrya is correct - Ragdolls come in pointed coats: Seal, blue, chocolate, lilac, red, and cream, along with their respective tabby points. They can also come with white feet, also known as "mitted", and larger amounts of white "bicolor". There are also "mink" Ragdolls that are not within the showing standards. There are arguments and different opinions regarding solid Ragdolls, but again, it is considered not conforming to show standards. In the end, breeds are not representative by just coat texture, color, or physical features but rather documented pedigree. 

Now Ragamuffins come in other patterns such as solids and tabby.

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. Beautiful cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katayl88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys :)

Yeah I hadn't heard of black ragdolls until I came across some online. Maybe they're mixes I'm not sure. But they looked like her with the smoky coloured neck and belly and the rest black, and apparently had fur like hers. It is not important though - I love her anyway!

My American partner used it as an argument to keep her as an indoor cat whereas this is an abnormal idea to British me, hehe. I'm still undecided, only because I want her to experience the sunshine in the summer. She shows no desire to go out though.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many longhaired black cats develop the smoky look in their longer-haired parts. Typically, a Smoke will have white or silvery hair in its ears. lf you part the fur on your kitty's legs and face, is the under-hair white or silvery? lf it is then she's a Smoke. lf not, she's black.

When l lived in the UK most people let their cats out all year because the weather is so temperate. Could you build her a screened enclosure so she's secure but can still enjoy the outdoors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katayl88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Many longhaired black cats develop the smoky look in their longer-haired parts. Typically, a Smoke will have white or silvery hair in its ears. lf you part the fur on your kitty's legs and face, is the under-hair white or silvery? lf it is then she's a Smoke. lf not, she's black.

When l lived in the UK most people let their cats out all year because the weather is so temperate. Could you build her a screened enclosure so she's secure but can still enjoy the outdoors?
I don't think she is a smoke then. On all parts of her body the under-hair is like a brown colour but definitely not white. 

I have been thinking about buying an enclosure. My mum has been trying to persuade me just to let her out because it's more 'natural' for them to form their own territories etc. I let my other cat, Panda, out but he's super street smart. Nala doesn't seem like she would be. I'll have to think about it. Thanks :) 

Last edited:

Krayvhen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Technically rag dolls can be black since solid black is a gene mutation in cats. Black rag dolls unlike others can have blue gold or green eyes. With the rules for rag dolls only having blue eyes and the rules on coats. Black rag dolls can’t be registered nor shown, because they aren’t considered “purebred”. A lot of reputable breeders are always selling purebred black ones for super cheap. They also fade into a grey/light brown (depending on the tone of their undercoat), like a typical Ragdoll. I’ve always wanted a black Ragdoll they are rag dolls personality and everything, they just can’t be considered purebred that’s all. Everyone in here was correct to some they aren’t considered but seeing the facts about it myself it’s hard to not consider them rag dolls.

Titiminets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Technically rag dolls can be black since solid black is a gene mutation in cats. Black rag dolls unlike others can have blue gold or green eyes. With the rules for rag dolls only having blue eyes and the rules on coats. Black rag dolls can’t be registered nor shown, because they aren’t considered “purebred”. A lot of reputable breeders are always selling purebred black ones for super cheap. They also fade into a grey/light brown (depending on the tone of their undercoat), like a typical Ragdoll. I’ve always wanted a black Ragdoll they are rag dolls personality and everything, they just can’t be considered purebred that’s all. Everyone in here was correct to some they aren’t considered but seeing the facts about it myself it’s hard to not consider them rag dolls.

I have a black Ragdoll mix. Grizzly has also MC Persian Siamese Birman ASH BSH and Burmese in him according to Basepaws.

Attachments

Titiminets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Grizzly has the softest fur ever. Kind of like a woolly coat. He is so much fun. Never a dull moment with Grizzly. He is also a gentle giant. He is so sweet. 💜💜💜

Attachments

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a black Ragdoll mix. Grizzly has also MC Persian Siamese Birman ASH BSH and Burmese in him according to Basepaws.
Basepaws is not a real breed test, it's a for fun type type thing that's more scam than anything, they say they are linking your cat to the same type cats that those breeds were created from, not actually saying your cat is truly a mix of any purebred, much less a mix of so many different breeds which would be pretty impossible.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basepaws is not a real breed test, it's a for fun type type thing that's more scam than anything, they say they are linking your cat to the same type cats that those breeds were created from, not actually saying your cat is truly a mix of any purebred, much less a mix of so many different breeds which would be pretty impossible.
no basepaws isnt a scam. A scam would be lying about what the test is for. They straight up tell you that they cant confirm breeds and its just what the appearance looks like. It's more for health testing. They do lots of research in terms of genetic components for various health issues.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You do realize that Basepaws is for fun, only?!?! There is no even theoretical possibility for your cat to have all of those breads in it.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where do you guys find black ragdolls???? I’m serious. It took me almost 3 years to get my raggy from reputable breader. Never once did I see black kitten . I’m really curious, because if nothing else I would love to see one?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found breeders online who were registering non standard ragdolls but they can’t be shown.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you guys find black ragdolls???? I’m serious. It took me almost 3 years to get my raggy from reputable breader. Never once did I see black kitten . I’m really curious, because if nothing else I would love to see one?
I found some breeder websites online who had nonstandard registered cats but I can’t remember if any of them were black or not. I posted the link on someone’s question here. Here is an article on this.

Black Ragdolls Cat { The Most controversial subjects in the Ragdoll community - Can Ragdolls Be Black?}

Here is a cattery breeder as well

Pinkerton Ragdoll Kittens For Sale

Last edited:

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was told that no reputable breeder will sell them as Raggis. I have heard of someone getting one from the breeder as is. No papers no mention of Raggi , just plain kitten. Same as with puppies that do not qualify to the standard of respectful breed. Then, I guess you always find people who are selling bridges and the people who are willing to buy them.