Is my cat a ragdoll or a himalayan?

ourania seven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Edie. She lived in our neighborhood for the past four-five years like a feral cat. But just two months ago she started approaching me in the garden when I feed the rabbits. Within a couple of weeks she began coming inside and sleeping with me at night. Now she seems like any normal pet cat. She comes in and out of the house and tells me when she wants to eat. She is very affectionate and loves to play. But she won't allow any other people to get near her. So she waits for the house to be quiet then runs in to find me. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she is pretty! I don't think she's a Himalayan or a Ragdoll. Her face is not flat enough for a Himi and she just doesn't have the look or body type of a Ragdoll. She's probably got some Siamese mixed with a domestic longhair. I think the Siamese heritage might be fairly recent, because her face is long like a show-type Siamese.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ourania seven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree. She is petite, not at all the size they say ragdolls are. She does have a ruff and britches and very very soft fur. It makes me think of cotton candy. She has a white chin. She can't meow. She just squeaks. She's very affectionate and playful and while she doesn't go completely limp, she never fights me when I pick her up. She is very wary, always watching out. But when she's in my room with the door closed she relaxes completely. She just seems to trust me.She wakes me up at 5am every morning by putting her face in mine. Then lots of petting but mainly she wants breakfast. Which she gets. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's gorgeous! Such a pretty cat, and I'm glad she's found herself a loving home now.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Himalayans are no longer a breed; they are simply a color class of Persians.  However, they were developed by crossing Persian and Siamese and it took a long time to change the body type and head type into Persian, since the two breeds had nothing really in common, and your girl looks very much like all the early Himalayans did.  The deep blue of her eyes is Siamese, and from what you tell me about her personality, that's very Siamese also.  They tend to become very attached to their Person and could care less about the rest of the humans in the world.  They are very sensitive and emotional, and if they lose their Person, they have been known to actually die of a broken heart.  We have seen that in rescue many times.  They just fade into depression, stop eating, stop responding, and it's hard to bring them back.  Just ask Siri at Siamese Rescue (in Virginia).  She documented a long rescue attempt of one like that and ended up moving the cat into her bedroom.  Where it still lives, I might add, as once it bonded to her, she knew she would never adopt that cat out.  They are soulmates for the life of that cat.  I do believe you have been gifted with a feline soulmate by The Cat Goddess  The two of you needed each other at this time.  Wishing you a long and fulfilled life together.  And welcome to The Cat Site. 

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Himalayans are no longer a breed; they are simply a color class of Persians." Actually not quite correct. In The International Cat Association(TICA) and some of the European registries (I think) Himilayans are considered their own breed. CFA considers them a color class of Persians.

This beautiful baby looks to be domestic of possibly Siamese origins.