Is my cat a breed or moggy?

jadeleaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adopted my cat Sabbath in January (or rather he adopted me) and since then I've always wondered if he's a certain breed or mixed.

He's quite a fat faced and heavy boned creature who makes a lot of weird brrrring noises and trilling more than meows. He's quite clever (pulls out his scoop when he poos to signal he wants it removed from the litter box), and will come if we start singing about chicken (crafty bugger is food daft).

His eyes are sort of a pale green and he has something of a big nose and a low hanging tummy. His fur is black but looks brown in the sun and is grey beneath. He's a rather comical cat and usually lazy. He's not a lapcat but clingy and gets social anxiety if I leave the house. He's rather placid and never vicious. Lol Don't know of any of that is relevant to any breed lol.

The breed isn't really important for specific purpose as he's neutered, but sometimes I've heard its useful to know the breed as certain illnesses can turn up in specific breeds (good to know what to look out for). Whether he's a dom black shortie or not, not really bothered but it'd be interesting to know either way lol.

- Ash

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is a domestic  black shortie.     :)

Looks like a wonderful cat.   I become almost jealous.   :)

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadeleaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is a domestic  black shortie.     :)

Looks like a wonderful cat.   I become almost jealous.   :)

Good luck!
Thanks so much for replying. I wasn't sure as I've heard mixed opinions about bombayism and all the rest from people waiting at the vets. His breed doesn't matter much, the girl at the adoption centre asked an array of strange questions before she even took me to see the cats. What colour did I want, what breed, sex, long hair, short hair, Green eyes, blue eyes, big, small, etc. I had to look at her oddly and say I was looking for a companion, not a handbag cat to accessorise an outfit with... (Think that's why I was shown the black cats only lol, as I heard they're hard to Rehome).

breed or not. He still seems to assume he's some kind of royalty anyway, lol.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks so much for replying. I wasn't sure as I've heard mixed opinions about bombayism and all the rest from people waiting at the vets. His breed doesn't matter much, the girl at the adoption centre asked an array of strange questions before she even took me to see the cats. What colour did I want, what breed, sex, long hair, short hair, Green eyes, blue eyes, big, small, etc. I had to look at her oddly and say I was looking for a companion, not a handbag cat to accessorise an outfit with... (Think that's why I was shown the black cats only lol, as I heard they're hard to Rehome).

breed or not. He still seems to assume he's some kind of royalty anyway, lol.
Perhaps it was THIS which was the test, and you hereby did passed this test with top grade.   :)

I suppose if it at anytime would be important to you to compare his looks with a pure bred, you could mention he is a little look alike a Bombay.  (Bombays are essentially black Burma.  Although I have a memory there are two partly different types of Bombay, the European one and the American one.  Both breeds are hovewer scarce.  Its easier to find a Burma, who were quite popular in England 50 years ago, when Siameses, Persians and Burmas where the least uncommon pure bred cats.

Im so happy for you and your furry friend.  You had found each other.   :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadeleaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was the third cat I looked at and after that there was going to be no other cat (he bullied me, wouldn't let me out of the pen. He kept getting in the way, pushing himself up to my hands, etc.. I'd heard of cats picking their owners before but it was the first time I'd experienced it myself. I didn't want to look at cats afterwards. I let him be the judge that he was going to be 'the one'.

He's been my stalker ever since that day.

I just looked up info of a British Bombay. I'll admit there's simulariities, I don't know, he might have a bit of one in him. He has the sort of temperament but like I say, breed isn't important. I'm not going to breed him (he's firing blanksl, so to speak), and I wouldn't put him in a contest or show. He's my companion, his worth is in his personality and the happiness and laughter I get from the little muppet. He's the biggest and most effective anti depressant I've known.