is my cat a black smoke ragdoll?

drewm10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Dexter is the most friendly kitty i've ever met! he loves to cuddle, he is very clumsy, and he can play fetch just like a dog. his undercoat has lightened significantly since we got him from a shelter when he was just under year old. he is now around a year and a half old, or a little less. is he a black smoke ragdoll?

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IDK what he is, but he is very handsome!  Does he shed very bad?  How large is he, how much does he weigh?  Is he very vocal, soft or loud?  Does he have a habit of flopping at your feet or go limp when you pick him up? 

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous cat! He is so handsome!!!

I doubt he is a Ragdoll, as they are suppose to always have the point pattern (like a Siamese). There is a variety that can be solid-colored, but they are rare. I'm guessing you're handsome dude is just a longhair moggie (mix-breed cat). They can be some of the most beautiful out there though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drewm10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He hardly sheds. im not sure how much he weights but hes definitely a smaller cat. he is not very vocal at all, we've only heard him meow a handful of times. and he doesnt go limp in our arms but he flops at our feet all the time.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drewm10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also, i read on another thread in a forum that there is a test to tell a normal black cat from a black smoke ragdoll, and this is too part the fur on his face or legs and if the root of the hairs are light silver/grey then they are a ragdoll. have you heard of this? 

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there! What a beautiful baby! I was wondering if you ever figured out what breed your baby was?? I have not been able to find another cat that looks like my youngest boy until I found your post! I’m super curious to know what he is and why his belly fur is how it is (same color as your baby, super super soft on his belly, super silky everywhere else), I’d love to talk more with you!! We always thought he was part ragdoll but we have no idea, we know he’s for sure mixed with something but we wanted to know what he mainly was!!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there! What a beautiful baby! I was wondering if you ever figured out what breed your baby was?? I have not been able to find another cat that looks like my youngest boy until I found your post! I’m super curious to know what he is and why his belly fur is how it is (same color as your baby, super super soft on his belly, super silky everywhere else), I’d love to talk more with you!! We always thought he was part ragdoll but we have no idea, we know he’s for sure mixed with something but we wanted to know what he mainly was!!
Most cats are just cats, not mixed, or pedigree descended, or what have you. It’s a common misconception for whatever reason, probably because dog mixes are extremely common. Only around 2-3% of cats are pedigree, and little more than that are true crosses, from the fairly rare oops litter or BYB (those that have actual pedigrees, and not lookalikes, will rarely mix, as pedigrees sell for more). That doesn’t make them any less special, though! A cat doesn’t have to be a pedigree or mix to be unique and gorgeous.

This is an old thread, and OP hasn’t been on since then, but their cat is a black smoke domestic longhair, which is a fancy way of saying that they’re a cat with long hair with no (or no significant) breed ancestry. Some cats with certain genes, like points, will likely have had pedigree ancestors, but the vast majority of the time they’re so far away it doesn’t really matter, as they look nothing like the breed, outside of the one marking.

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply!! That does make a lot of sense though, I wasn’t really too concerned just interested because I’d never seen a cat with his kind if belly fur before, it’s really cool! Thank you for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply!! That does make a lot of sense though, I wasn’t really too concerned just interested because I’d never seen a cat with his kind if belly fur before, it’s really cool! Thank you for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it!
A lot of solid black cats will have lighter fur on their belly area which will usually darken as they mature. Not uncommon at all.
We happen to have a solid black pedigree Maine Coon who we thought was black smoke for a long time. As she got older the solid black took over for the most part. She is 2 now, and while still has a little of the lighter tones in that area, she clearly is a solid cat.
The difference between the 2 is if you part the fur and it is white at the skin, it's a smoke cat, not solid. I do think the one shown may be solid based on the fact that it has no white coloring on it's ears or around the eyes which is usually evident in smokes.
Regardless it is a striking looking black cat!