Is my cat a Bengal mix ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doug1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey was found on the road very young n we nursed him back to good health after a couple weeks he was able to eat soft cat food and now he's doing great I'm just curious of the breed caz he acts nothing like any of my other cats he's super playfull n a relentless begger when it comes to people food also he was his tail allot n beats up on my two fully grown cats to were they are afraid of him anything helps thankyou

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know anything about cat breeds but hopefully someone who does will be along soon. I just wanted to say you have a gorgeous kitty, really beautiful. It was his lucky day when you passed his way - so wonderful you took him in and gave him a home!

catsnrats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male kitten I got looks just like that, I'm still trying to figure out what he is too

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very sweet and nice kitten.  Domestic I think, although boatsting of being a classic tabby (also called for marbled or blotched).

The color is black and silver, I think.

No bengal, I dont think so.   Theoretically, he could surely have some granddad who is a marbled bengal, but ist not necessary for our purposes.  There are quite a few beatutiful classic tabbies among the domestics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doug1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the info everyone it was actually more then I expected I will add some new pics within the week so u can see how fast he has grown and how handsome lol thanks again this is a really good website

nikki7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is Jake. The vet told me that he could be part Bengal. I know that there is no way to know for sure without papers but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jake looks like a very distinct Mackerel Tabby to me! He even has the signature 'M' on his forehead. I've never understood the fascination with Bengals anyways, Mackerel Tabbies can be so much prettier in my opinion! He's just lovely! Those Mackerel swirls are so bold. [emoji]128151[/emoji]

The kitten too looks like a Mack. I've always preferred a good ole brown Mackerel. They were always my 'go to' cats if I was thinking of an image of a cat. [emoji]128513[/emoji]

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jake looks like a very distinct Mackerel Tabby to me! He even has the signature 'M' on his forehead. I've never understood the fascination with Bengals anyways, Mackerel Tabbies can be so much prettier in my opinion! He's just lovely! Those Mackerel swirls are so bold. [emoji]128151[/emoji]

The kitten too looks like a Mack. I've always preferred a good ole brown Mackerel. They were always my 'go to' cats if I was thinking of an image of a cat. [emoji]128513[/emoji]
This cat is a Classic Tabby, not a Mackeral. It can also be called a marbled tabby or classic swirl. Mackeral tabbies have vertical strips on each side.

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This cat is a Classic Tabby, not a Mackeral. It can also be called a marbled tabby or classic swirl. Mackeral tabbies have vertical strips on each side.
Whoopsie, I thought the classic was the one with the vertical and the Mack was the one with the swirls. Maybe I should stick to sheep classification! Show me a sheep and I'm right on the money for breed!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whoopsie, I thought the classic was the one with the vertical and the Mack was the one with the swirls. Maybe I should stick to sheep classification! Show me a sheep and I'm right on the money for breed!
Mackerel is associating th the fish renowned for its stripes.  So its not difficult to remember.  In other languages They are called for striped or tigrered.

Classic is an interesting twist, as they are in minority - the mackerel are much more common, and much older.

But the story is very educative:  the mutation for classic happened in England, somewhere in the Middle Ages.  They become surely popular among those whom afforded to buy a cat - an in England they become the majority.

And the Cat Fancy become really strong in England in the second half of the 1800. the first Shows, first judges etc...

So that is why the english called the bulls eye variation for Classic  - it was the most common for them, and they werent clearly aware this was the new variation.

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mackerel is associating th the fish renowned for its stripes.  So its not difficult to remember.  In other languages They are called for striped or tigrered.

Classic is an interesting twist, as they are in minority - the mackerel are much more common, and much older.
But the story is very educative:  the mutation for classic happened in England, somewhere in the Middle Ages.  They become surely popular among those whom afforded to buy a cat - an in England they become the majority.
And the Cat Fancy become really strong in England in the second half of the 1800. the first Shows, first judges etc...
So that is why the english called the bulls eye variation for Classic  - it was the most common for them, and they werent clearly aware this was the new variation.
Very cool bit of history! I've never seen a Mackerel fish, so I wasn't aware of their stripes. I'm rather phobic of water that isn't clear, so I don't have much fish or fishing experience outside of aquariums, and I surely never heard of a Mackerel fish as an aquarium fish! I was sure I knew which was correct at one point but must have confused the two down the road.