Is my cat a Bengal mix?

joanie2014

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if my cat is a bengal mix breed... She seems to hold a lot of the characteristics of the bengal cat:

-Very vocal... Lots of meowing! Especially when she is hungry. 

-Loves water and has no problem taking a bath. 

-Has many physical traits as well such as colouring, body structure etc.. 

-Very playful,loves playing fetch

-And is super affectionate, has to cuddle after work, in the morning and before bed time.

-Most recently her size has also become a trait weighing 14.5 lbs. at 11 months. She is by no means overweight as she is very active and definitely is not a lazy cat. 

I would love to hear what you think if you have some knowledge on the Bengal breed. 

Thank you so much!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know about your sweet kitties breed but she sure is a beauty . I love the first pic .. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think she is a domestic.  Some spots on tummy arent at all unusual on tabbies. Even if her spots are extra nice.

Looking again on her, I suspect she isnt no plain tabby, there seems to be some reddish spots.  So I suspect she is really a tortoiseshell and tabby = torbie.

Good luck!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful kitty :)

Your description of her does resemble my noisy bengal lol However, I think it's unlikely to have a part bengal cat due to most breeders requiring de sexing before they will give you a kittens pedigree papers. But you never know.

A true bengal will have spots on its skin- just like its fur. But I don't know if that holds true for a part bengal?

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's very rare to have a bengal mix. My dad was convinced for months that my cat was part bengal. She doesn't really have the "typical" personality of one, nor does she have the high energy they usually have either. It didn't matter to me, but it's nice to know what your cat is! My cat's a "torbie" just like Stefan described your cat as. I think torbie owners often wonder about their cats being part bengal because they're usually really pretty and the coat colors just make them so exotic looking!

Not sure how a mix would play into this, but here are a few things that bengals have uniquely:

rosettes in their coat pattern (spots shaped like a lumpy ring with a different color in the middle, like a leopard)

hairs that are not "ticked" (ticked is when one hair has two/three different colors on it)

asymmetrical coat patterns (if you drew a line down your cat's back and compared the marble pattern, would each side match? Bengals do not have matching sides)

Your cat looks adorable by the way!

apalmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Husband found this young cat in a very wealthy multi million dollar developing vacation or community (30A Panama City Beaxh FL) ...i say all that to say this kitty didnt struggle. But it did get lost and we are seeking to find thr owners. She is small, young. Very loveable. Follows you everywhere ans wants to be in your lap. And my hiw she is vocal. Like non-stop. Its short sounds.I watched some videos of a bengal cat and its almosy identical. Several different chattering sounds and chirping, similar to the bengals. I recorded it but not sure how to upload it.

She has a smaller head than her body. Its not wide at all.

Any thoughts of what she is?

lghnn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say probably a mix, if you see the pic of my cat the coat different. Feels like silk and kind of shines.

ghageysh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Found this guy hiding in a drainage pipe out in a rural area. We've had him for about three weeks and the longer we have him the more I suspect he's a bengal kitty. The only reason I'm asking is so I know what to expect going forward. I currently have two big lazy females (4 yr old Maine Coon and 25 lb, 11 yr old torbie). We have a bunch of amateur cat breeders in the area who don't realize it's not a good way to make money. When they can't they dump the kittens. His coat is very short and soft with no undercoat, pattern is not symmetrical, black toes, loves to play fetch and is small but incredibly solidly built. I don't care what he is, he's adorkable, but it would be nice to know what challenges outside the normal cat challenges I'll be facing. Thanks!

Attachments

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks to me like you have a Torbie! Lucky find!:p
They are all the things you describe, and have quite wonderful, unique personalities. There are a few here who own them and could tell you more!
You’ll have lots of funny moments and odd stories for many years to come, enjoy and share!!:dancingblackcat:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ghageysh, your kitty appears to be a brown tabby domestic shorthair, pattern appears to be broken mackerel. I don't see anything about him that suggests Bengal ancestry. Spots on the belly are a normal part of the tabby pattern. I agree, he is adorable!