Is my baby boy a Maine coon or just a long hair

shonaklove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my handsome guy Fluffs who's 7 month old. My boyfriend and I were wondering if was Maine coon given how fast and big he's growing. Here's a few pics

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Handsome boy! He's gorgeous!

I doubt he is a Maine Coon, as they are very expensive and so rarely found anywhere but with a breeder or possibly a pure-bred rescue. However, Maine Coons were bred from longhair American ferals, so they have many of the same genetics and traits.

Ferals with this look are known as American Longhairs, a name sometimes used for Maine Coons.

I hope this helps.  : )

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't agree with Maine coons being rare or necessarily expensive, at least nowhere I've ever lived, though that could be because I grew up in Maine, and moved north. They are very popular so most places at least in cooler areas in North America you can find Maine coons and Maine coon mixes, if you have them in your area it's possible he is at least a mix. Anyway, to me the face/head of Fluffs doesn't look like a Maine coon, no real mane, no tufts on his ears and his ears aren't that big, at 7 months a Maine coon isn't going to have grown into his ears yet. He also looks like the same coat all over, no curly belly fur like on a Maine coon.  He actually looks a lot like one of my cats that I think  might be a ragamuffin (she was a stray, but matches the breed personality and appearance of one). If he is part Maine coon (or any of the northern breeds), they take 3-5 years to reach full size, most other cat breeds take 1-2 years.  Without knowing genetic history you really can't be 100% sure you have a specific bred or a mix, it could just be a mix that looks like one. Maine coons were a self created breed, so they look like other long haired breeds that went into them, not specific like a Siamese (short haired pointed coat so you know it's at least a mix). I would classify him as a domestic long hair, there are several cat breeds that can result in a cat that looks like Fluffs.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that I'm a Maine Coon expert at all, but I think he has some Maine Coon in him.  

His lower face looks prominent and thin like the Maine Coons.

Regardless of what type cat he is, he's really beautiful.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think he's a domestic long hair blue (i.e. gray) and white.  He doesn't have the typical "jowly" look that Maine Coons have, nor are his ears pointed enough nor are they at the correct angle that a Maine Coon would have them.

Here's a photo of a similarly colored purebred Maine Coon for comparison's sake.  This photo is from photographer Robert Sijka, him and his wife breed Maine Coons in China.  I'm a huge fan of his cats!

He is adorable though. Love his bibb and mittens!  

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, you're right; I forgot about the ears.  Fluff's doesn't have those distinctive ears.  On another note, that Maine Coon is beautiful!  He looks as if he should belong to a super hero, perhaps Batman!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is. I couldn't find a tuxedo Maine Coon photo so that was closest. I more wanted to show the shape of the head/ears/muzzle to make a comparison.

The people who breed those MC's truly have some of the best examples I've ever seen. I sure wish he wasn't in China!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shonaklove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your help!!!
My boyfriend is convinced he is part Maine coon. I think he's just a long hair. We took him to the vet and he's 8.10lbs. From what I hear most Maine coons are bigger at this age? He's the sweetest little boy ever! I'm just happy we get to call him ours!

KGH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your help!!!
My boyfriend is convinced he is part Maine coon. I think he's just a long hair. We took him to the vet and he's 8.10lbs. From what I hear most Maine coons are bigger at this age? He's the sweetest little boy ever! I'm just happy we get to call him ours!

KGH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg no way I just got my baby for my birthday this past week and I was searching to see if he’s mixed with Maine coon and it’s so crazy he looks just like your cat when he gets bigger lol same colors and white! Did you ever find out if he is part Maine coon?
2D0AEDC2-7B95-46E2-9E35-81A980847F92.jpeg
4A17DB01-C066-4AED-B575-7F3133ED798F.jpeg
A425EBC4-E985-4FEA-B580-02755282FEB4.jpeg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg no way I just got my baby for my birthday this past week and I was searching to see if he’s mixed with Maine coon and it’s so crazy he looks just like your cat when he gets bigger lol same colors and white! Did you ever find out if he is part Maine coon?View attachment 405684View attachment 405685View attachment 405686
Blue domestic longhair with white. I see no Maine Coon in the head structure, ear set, or eye shape, and paws and ear size imply he likely won’t get larger than average with age.
Enjoy your kitten!