Is my 3-month old kitten straining to pee?

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I adopted my new kitten two weeks ago and he's been vocal in the litterbox (and just in general!) from the start. He's been going normally/consistently though and the meowing has lessened over time, so I just kinda figured he was announcing himself. I have his first appointment with a vet scheduled on Thursday and mentioned the litterbox meowing just to be safe, and the person on the phone said that it could be a sign of a blocked urethrae, especially for male cats. Ever since then, I've been trying to catch my cat when he pees and I can't tell whether or not it's unusual. (My last cat's litter box was covered so I never "saw" him pee?)

I'm stressing because the earliest I can get into any vet seems to be Thursday and I don't know if it's an emergency? He's eating/drinking fine and passing urine. Here's a video of him peeing—I'm hoping that in the meantime, I can get input on whether he's doing so normally:
(Also, if it matters, he was neutered two weeks ago.)

Thanks in advance! I lost my last cat (who was only eight) very suddenly to silent heart disease, so I think I'm maybe being paranoid. Any feedback is appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I've tried a couple of times but can't get the video to play. However, if you're having to clean the box of pee clumps, and those clumps are approximately the same size from what they were and remain that way, Thursday's appointment should be ok - but please note, I'm not a vet.

Be sure and have the video available so the vet can see it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I've tried a couple of times but can't get the video to play. However, if you're having to clean the box of pee clumps, and those clumps are approximately the same size from what they were and remain that way, Thursday's appointment should be ok - but please note, I'm not a vet.

Be sure and have the video available so the vet can see it.
I'm sorry that the video isn't working! Try clicking here instead. (No worries if you can't get it to play, though.)

But yeah, looks like his pee clumps have been consistent, so hopefully that's a good sign.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That seems to be a pretty small clump of pee in that video - although from that distance I can't be sure!

Are you saying he never pees more than that at any time? The fact that he is peeing, albeit not a lot, is a good sign in that he isn't actually blocked. However, I would be closely monitoring his pee - how much and how many times.

If you find that he goes into the litter box and doesn't pee at all, that is time to call the vet and ask to get in to see them ASAP, or be placed on a call list for any cancellation that comes up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookslikerain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. That seems to be a pretty small clump of pee in that video - although from that distance I can't be sure!

Are you saying he never pees more than that at any time? The fact that he is peeing, albeit not a lot, is a good sign in that he isn't actually blocked. However, I would be closely monitoring his pee - how much and how many times.

If you find that he goes into the litter box and doesn't pee at all, that is time to call the vet and ask to get in to see them ASAP, or be placed on a call list for any cancellation that comes up.
Hey! Sorry if this is a bit gross, but I actually took a picture of the clump. My handle is pretty huge (I used to have a 18-lb cat), but hopefully you can get a vague idea from the size of my thumb at the bottom:

IMG_7133.jpeg

I'm honestly not sure how small that is? All his pee clumps have been around that size; since he's a kitten, I assumed it was normal.

I'll keep an eye on him for now!