Is Kitten Intro The Same As Older Cat Intro?

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I know there are multiple posts about cat introductions on this board every day. Reading them is very helpful, as I'm planning on bringing in a new cat and am dedicated to making sure it goes as well as possible. My question is, are there variations on new kitten introductions to resident adult cats, vs new adult cat introductions to resident adult cats?

The kitten we will get is a 12-week old female Siberian, who is on the smaller side, quiet, and non-dominant. Our resident cat is a small 4-year-old Balinese female who grew up as a breeding queen in a fairly large cattery. She is gentle and friendly; she alternates between being really quiet and really loud and playful. We were able to choose between two Siberian kittens; we chose the gentler one that seemed like a better fit for our resident cat (Little Kitty). They're inside cats, since we live in a city. Our house isn't big but it does have a couple of different areas.

I know to isolate the kitten; to introduce scents from the face via a clean sock; to let them eat on opposite sides of the door; to put in a baby gate at some point so they can see each other; to think about a Feliway diffuser; to make sure there is no competition for litter boxes, food dishes, or cat beds. I see that with adult cat intros this is a process that takes a couple of weeks. Do kitten intros take longer? Shorter? I know it must be different with every situation, but is a kitten intro essentially the same as what you would do with grown-up cats? Everything I've read is about bringing in a new adult.

Let me know if there is any difference. I'm committed to trying to make this work for Little Kitty, and I am optimistic based on her previously friendly relationships with non-related cats and the fact that she's had many kittens of her own in her old life. At the time we get the new kitten--next month--we will have had Little Kitty for only 4 months...so hopefully she remembers that other cats exist! Thanks so much, folks.

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my experience it is even a little easier with kittens, because older cats aren't as threatened by kittens as by full gorwn cats. But yes, you should basically do the same procedures.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, indeed, they are the same, but with kittens it is often quite a bit shorter AND easier! And they are more fully integrated when it is accomplished.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 catmomma627 catmomma627

Thanks for the tip! I'm slightly worried because 2 females, but from what I've read, age and temperment are more important. I asked for a girl kitten before I had heard that one should ideally mix genders; I've been annoyed too many times by the spraying of neutered males and I didn't want to deal with that. Also I thought my apartment might be a little small for a male cat--in my experience, they like big territories. But then, too late, I discovered this tip. Oh well, I bet it will all work out! The little kitten is very sweet

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might take a bit longer, but it can certainly be done! I'm betting that this will work out very well in the end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 & catmomma627 catmomma627 ! Very reassuring. I’m reading “The Trainable Cat” by my favorite John Bradshaw (& Sarah Ellis) right now...so I anticipate even more advice. His book “Cat Sense “ is great

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got a new kitten to keep my other kitten accompanied while I am at work or go out. They got along immediately. For a few seconds my boy hissed and was walking sideways like a crab but then the pair started playing with each other.