Is Itching And Scratching Always A Symptom Of Cat Scabies?

Vaidamin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I’m super new here. Completely unexpectedly I got a new kitten yesterday. In all reality she found me. She was crying outside my office window. Really beautiful girl, mixed with Sphynx, about 8 weeks old. I was sent to local couty animal health center and they looked at her and imedetely said scabies infestation she needs to be put down. I’m like why do you shonk she has scabies? The girl refused to answer in detail she just said she knows. So I started reading more and I’m puzzled cause in 24 hours I haven’t seen the kitty scratch once. Her face and ears are beautiful she has a few skin bumps on her back and little scars but nothibg that in my oppinion suggests scabies. She has very thin and short haircause she’s mixed with Sphynx. Everything I read online says that one of the main symptoms is itching and scratching and scrusty skin if the infestation is older and a lot on face and ears. I’m not seeing anything on her beautiul face and her floppy big ears. I’m missing all those symptoms. I endup putting oil/sulphur solution all over her and myself to treat whatever is going on on her skin if anything honestly. Ordered a sulphur lime dip. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part?! I can’t afford a big vets bill so I want to get ahead of the game and get to vets as a last resort since honestly in my experience the miner stuff like this I have always been able to treat my pets myself a lot more effectively myself and with a lesser price tag and keeping the vets visits for more majour issues.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t think you need to put her down....I’ve read there are remedies. Please give this little baby a chance....is there a local clinic you can take her to be checked, definely get a second opinion before doing anything drastic

Good luck

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, she does not need put down, she needs a vet visit. with a kitten her age i would really go for the vet.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do you know she's mixed with Sphynx? She may just have a skin condition. I'd take her to another vet

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about Revolution or Frontline Plus on the back of the neck. As far as I know scabies is caused by mites. I wouldn't put a cat down over mites. Mine have had them.