Is it true that...

sberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...cats do better in pairs?

I read this on another forum (for dogs, lol) that cats do better in pairs versus only having one cat in the house. A few people even said that they'll only ever have two cats or more.. but never just one cat.

Opinions?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When raising kittens, yes, I agree totally. I think kittens raised without any other cats in the home tend to turn out to be socially awkward and just plain "not right". Adult cats who haven't been around other cats for a while might be happier alone, though.

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has been my experience that some cats prefer to be the only one and others like to have another cat or even a dog companion. 

If you are considering a kitten and only want one, then just get one.  Play with it in a kind gentle way.  Give it lots of love and you will get it in return.  If you find that the kitten seems lonely after a fair length of time then consider getting it a playmate, but I'm not convinced it is necessary with all kittens.  Some prefer to be the only cat in the house and others like company.  Getting two together doesn't always work out and sometimes they tend to bond with each other rather than with you.  Not always the case, but I've seen it happen.  There is a way that we have solved this kind of problem in our house and that is by making the person who wanted the pet (cat or dog) responsible for it.  Feeding, litter changing and training. By spending the time to do these things with the cat or for it, often he/she will bond to the person as has been the case with my cats and dog(s).  All the animals will play together as well, but when it comes down to the crunch, my kitten and the other cats enjoy being with their human companion above the other animals.  Right now, my kitten has collapsed contentedly beside me after a game of fetch.  She will seek me out when she wants special treatment and loves to be carried around.

The bottom line is, in my opinion, cats are as different as people.  There are some who need to have friends around all the time and others who prefer to be on their own or with just one friend.  You won't know until you get your kitten home and see how it goes.  I've just recently talked to a friend who regrets getting two cats at once because the personalities are so different that there is a constant battle between them even after 4 years of being together.  It doesn't make for a good home life for the family or the cats.  Yet others have had great experience with getting two together. 

Sorry for this long response, but even my vet and I have talked about this very subject and his experience is like mine, some cats are just meant to be on their own with a loving human companion and others aren't.

ibiscribe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mind only having one cat, if it was a case of a cat that preferred a one-cat home. But I do prefer having more than one cat if possible... especially if they're both kittens, and/or were already friends. I do like having more than one cat, and it's nice when there are two cats that can enjoy each other's company, play together, curl up together, etc. And if it turned out one of them wasn't really attracted to human socialization and preferred to interact with the other cat, I wouldn't mind. I'd rather the cat live a fulfilling life, than a life that was forced to fulfill mine--then I would know I had done my job well.

Last edited:

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is very noble of you Ibiscribe.  When going for a pair of kittens, generally, if you are getting them from a rescue, they will tell you which ones have bonded together which will make it easier to make the right choice for what you are looking for.  Just because two cats are rescued at the same time, doesn't mean that they will sleep together.  That is where the information from the staff at the rescue is most important. 

Just to clarify, there is never any 'forcing' of bonding in our household.  It is generally natural for any animal to bond with the person who takes care of their needs or who spends the most time with them.  For many people the whole purpose of getting any pet is for companionship.  I stated that the animals in my home play together and generally enjoy each others company, but when it comes right down to it, each of us have a special bond with one and I don't consider that a forced thing but a natural companionship which is most enjoyable to the cats and dogs as well as the humans.  I think it is safe to say that our furry companions are living a very fulfilling life with us.  They aren't just housed and fed, we consider them members of our family and when we go away, they all go with us.  It never enters my mind about us doing "our job".  Living with furry companions is not a job, it is a privilege, in my opinion. 

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My guess (from experience and reading about cats) is that folks who observe pairs of kittens bonding with each other and not the humans may have just gotten cats whose personalities tended that way already.  Of course, it is impossible to tell.  Some humans aren't aware of what it takes to bond with a cat, either one cat or a pair of cats.  We adopted 3 "teenage" kittens within months of each other.  They love feline company, but they are crazy about the humans too.  So, multiple cats worked out well for us.  And our experience has been that there is no problem whatsoever with bonding with the humans.

It is interesting that you read that in comparison with dog dynamics.  I researched getting a dog for a while and was so surprised that it was not recommended to get two at one time or littermates.  Very different from cats...the common advice is that two at a time is a great idea.  Apparently, because of the training aspect and leadership dynamics, you do want to add just one at a time with dogs.  Then add another at a later time.  (At least that was the common advice I was reading.) 

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All the animals will play together as well, but when it comes down to the crunch, my kitten and the other cats enjoy being with their human companion above the other animals.  Right now, my kitten has collapsed contentedly beside me after a game of fetch.  She will seek me out when she wants special treatment and loves to be carried around.
Great answer, mypallily, very informative. 

I think I am blessed (because I can't afford more anyway) with a single-type kitty. She's had a bit of a rough start. I'm not entire sure what happened before she got to me, but she is much more at ease around humans than she is around other cats. So far she's hissed and spat every other cat she met, both males and females, and always ran in the arms of a human afterwards. 

So no, not every cat prefers a furry companion. I'd say take her for a visit if you can, let her around other cats for a few hours and see how she does. Good luck. 

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not every cat likes companion animals around.  I do think as kittens it is important for them to be socialized but invariably they are like dogs in some ways.  Some prefer to be an only child and some like to be around other animals.  My oldest cat would be an excellent candidate to be an only cat.  Her only socialization as a tiny kitten was with my dog (long story).  She really had very little interaction with other cats. I now have 4 cats and Hoot barely tolerates the other 3.  She's okay with them as long as they give her, her space. However, Hoot loves my little Maltese dog.  They are best pals.  She can't stand the other dog.  For the most part, they all get along quite well and the other 3 cats play all of the time.  Sometimes I think Hoot would be much happier in an only pet home. 

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree.  I think it has to do with the cat's tempermant whether or not they want a "friend". 

With the ones I currently have- Sneaky Pie would be fine with or without a friend.  Holly needs another animal around. 

We had to put Jasper down on Tuesday
  He was one sick kiity- vet thought he had cancer.  So if we have to put down Sneaky (and the time will come- she's got hyperthyriodism and other issues AND she'll be 12 next year) we'll probably get Holly a friend. 

Though Holly seems to be missing Jasper more than Sneaky does.

Cheryl

lsurova

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they do love when they are in pairs. Need someone to play.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neither of mine could be alone they love each other to much was an instant bond when we brought Sooty home to Flash, they have their own little mews for each other when one cant find the other its adorable.

I to think its all down t the temperment of the cat, as my mams cat couldnt have another cat around he is very much a one cat, cat!

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My three cats could really care less if none of the others were around, and the two older ones are sisters, and they are at that point where they simply tolerate one another, my youngest Finn on the other hand always has been a bit of a loner, she's only recently started getting super lovey with me over the last few weeks (and it's kinda irritating, actually) because she has to lay on me constantly now u_u it'd be cute if she didn't roll around and forget she was laying on my lap, then dig her blasted claws into my leg when she slips off my lap! -3-

so no, not ALL cats are happy with company

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Monet was the only cat for 2 years. He was great as an only cat, no issues at all, but he was quiet and laid around a lot. then I decided to bring home a kitten. Things turned around and he's MUCH Better with a companion! He's more active, playful and all around happier.

After observing the two, I don't think Cassie could ever be an only cat. she has too much spunk and needs a playmate.

Guess it depends on the cats too.

Last edited:

mimi3908

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that is what I think. Especially if you have the space for it. My kitties can spend the whole day on their own anyway if they want to or go be with other kitties in another room if they want to. When I had my first kitty, she seem pretty happy overall but she played on her own and seem to ask us to play with her, so then I got her a friend. At first, there was rough times and she didn't seem happy at all with new friend, but now they groom each other, sleep with each other and just hang out when they want to. I got a third one early this year and they all get along and most important is that they have the space to be on their own if they want to. I think the kitties in general are much healthier and happier with their mates around especially if they get along or at least have the option to be with them to seek out attention especially if we aren't home for stretches of time. I'm sure there are cats that only want to be alone, very territorial and just won't tolerate another kitty, just like people...there are some loners and for most part, kitties and people happier being sociable.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have nothing of real value to add to this thread, excellent thoughts on the subject have already been provided. :)

Just wanted to pop in to say that Lazlo was our first rescue kitty (indoor-only, rescued as a kitten). We rescued one of his brothers after 10 days so he'd have a companion. They definitely played together - though sleeping together was usually because one wanted THAT spot, and the other refused to move. :lol3: We continued to rescue, and 10 years later now have 8 cats. We had quite a few fosters through here those first few years (before Tuxie developed his autoimmune problem)... and with 20/20 hindsight, we find it ironic that Lazlo would probably have been very happy as an "alone" kitty. :lol3:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It really depends on the cat(s). We got Jamie as a second cat when he was just 10 weeks old, and although the first cat was perfectly willing to accept him or any other cat, Jamie wanted nothing to do with him and they had to be separated all the time. A few years after the first cat died we took in a neighborhood cat for a few years and it was the same story. Fortunately all the rooms in our house have doors, and we can allow access to one, two or three bedrooms at a time without any access to the downstairs.

Miezi, our "half cat", was adopted by a family together with her sister. Once they were adults they no longer got along, and Miezi decided to rehome herself. She chose our home, and Jamie unfortunately hates her, so she's been going back and forth between our place and a neighbor's for years. She's indoor/outdoor and very aggressive towards other cats.

Most of the cats in our local shelter are perfectly fine with other cats, but there are a few that have to be kept in "solitary confinement" and are just available for adoption as "only cats".