Is it time?

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dobby is almost 16 now. At her last checkup (November), the vet took a blood draw, and then called to let me know it looks like she’s having kidney issues (no surprise…she’s had only one functioning kidney since she was 7). We switched her to a prescription kidney food (canned as always). She ate normally at first, then started refusing the food. Then we tried a different one, and another…same for each. In an effort to get food in her, we’ve also tried mixing in her previously normal food, with mixed results. Through all this, we’ve added extra water bowls throughout the house, and she’s been losing weight, but behaving normally. Last night she ate well, and I took it as a good sign. This morning, I got up at normal feeding time, and found that she had puked a few times in the night…looks like she lost all the food she ate. I put a little of her favorite in her bowl, but she didn’t come. I did find her (in the cat carrier of all places), and while she’s appreciative of head rubs, she’s barely licking her food, barley drinking water, and she seems wobbly and slow. The vet said I could bring her in but that he’d likely send her to the emergency hospital. I know I have to make this decision, but would really appreciate your input, experiences, etc. I’m not sure if I should put her through procedures that may not help, and only make her miserable, or if we should let nature take its course. Also, today is a snow day, and the roads aren’t clear yet… thanks…I hope I’m making sense here.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What to do next all depends on how advanced Dobby's kidney issues are. A lot of times, all it takes is some sub-Q fluids, as many CKD cats are often dehydrated. You may also want to ask the vet about anti-nausea meds and an appetite stimulant, both are very commonly needed with CKD cats as well. The prescription foods are generally not well liked by most cats, or not well liked after being eaten for a while. Low phosphorus foods (which admittedly can be hard to determine) with a fair amount of protein are better for older cats with kidney issues. Even cats who have kidney disease need to have a higher amount of protein than is often provided in the prescription foods. Most of the time kidney disease affects both kidneys, so Dobby really isn't at much of a disadvantage for having only one kidney.

Have you ever checked out this web site? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org). Tons and tons of information, and while it is a lot to absorb, it is worth taking a look at. There is also a food chart on the site that lists phosphorus levels, and if you can get any of those brands/foods that would be better than the prescription foods anyway.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be something else is wrong with her other than the kidney issue. Sometimes with kidney cats their potassium gets low, or they get anemia, or other things go wrong that can sometimes be fixed with medication. Or, as stated above, it could be kidney related nausea from the buildup of toxins in her kidney. Not knowing how long she has been refusing to eat, etc., it's really hard to say if it's time or not. I've had three kidney cats and they really do have very bad days then seem to bounce back. My last kidney cat was on appetite stimulants, antacids and sub-q fluids. There were days when I was sure would be her last, then she would start eating again.

No one knows your cat like you do, and when the time comes, I truly believe you will know it. You will see it in their eyes when their will to live has gone. If they have more bad days then good, then it's time. If they have no joy in life, then it's time. But the fact that she ate quite a bit last night seems to indicate she is still wanting to live. It could be her tummy had been so empty that all that food just was too much for her and up it came.

Definitely look over the website provided and take it from there. here is the specific page on low potassium:

all4mom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before I considered euthanasia, I'd consider giving her non-prescription food she actually likes and will eat! If her kidney failure progresses sooner rather than later, at least she'll go happy. Personally, I think these specialty foods are overrated and not even always healthy.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dobby is almost 16 now. At her last checkup (November), the vet took a blood draw, and then called to let me know it looks like she’s having kidney issues (no surprise…she’s had only one functioning kidney since she was 7). We switched her to a prescription kidney food (canned as always). She ate normally at first, then started refusing the food. Then we tried a different one, and another…same for each. In an effort to get food in her, we’ve also tried mixing in her previously normal food, with mixed results. Through all this, we’ve added extra water bowls throughout the house, and she’s been losing weight, but behaving normally. Last night she ate well, and I took it as a good sign. This morning, I got up at normal feeding time, and found that she had puked a few times in the night…looks like she lost all the food she ate. I put a little of her favorite in her bowl, but she didn’t come. I did find her (in the cat carrier of all places), and while she’s appreciative of head rubs, she’s barely licking her food, barley drinking water, and she seems wobbly and slow. The vet said I could bring her in but that he’d likely send her to the emergency hospital. I know I have to make this decision, but would really appreciate your input, experiences, etc. I’m not sure if I should put her through procedures that may not help, and only make her miserable, or if we should let nature take its course. Also, today is a snow day, and the roads aren’t clear yet… thanks…I hope I’m making sense here.
It sounds as though nature is taking its course. But it also sounds as though you're doing everything right - continuing to offer her food and love, and letting her remain in her own home.

I've been a hospice mom many times. I'm no expert but I'll be glad to share my experiences if you want to message me.

My heart goes out to you.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before I considered euthanasia, I'd consider giving her non-prescription food she actually likes and will eat! If her kidney failure progresses sooner rather than later, at least she'll go happy. Personally, I think these specialty foods are overrated and not even always healthy.
I couldn't agree more. I offer tuna, baked chicken, baby food in all of the meat flavors, salmon, sardines etc. I also dust the food if they reject it with Fortiflora. Most cats go nuts for it. I'm pretty sure it's what coats Temptations treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone…for the info. And the cari g words. She is still wanting to hang out in the kitchen (that’s new for her), but she has been settling in a cat bed I brought in for her. I keep a bowl and a glass (for height) of water near her, and she does get up to drink every so often. I’m also feeding her small bits throughout the day, and she is getting up to eat that. At the moment, I’m back to her favorite food instead of the prescription. I have not noticed if she’s gotten up to use the litter boxes (shared with our other cat), but her bed is clean. She’s still appreciating head scratches, but does not seem to want to cuddle (like she usually does).

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might want to get some pee pads for her bed for the future. I'm so glad to hear that she's drinking, eating a bit, but most of all enjoying head scratches. From what I've read about human CRF patients, CRF feels achy and yucky, but not painful.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know her best, if she appears to be in pain, starts hiding, etc. then you'll have to decide. My Burt only ate Arby's roast beef at the end of his life, at this point I would feed her what she wants......