Is it time to put him down ?.

Maxuk50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 18 year male moggy cat who we have had since he was a kitten whose physical and mental health has deteriorated a lot over the last couple of years. He is currently on two prescription medications a day , Thyronorm for this thyroid and Metacam for his muscle wastage.
He spends pretty much all of his time outside and only comes in to eat , which is achieved usually by howling at the back door rather than use the cat flap available to him where he knows his food is located.
He only ever looks content when he is fast asleep, if he is walking about it looks extremely labored and awkward , and very far from comfortable.
As he is practically deaf he howls when he wants to come in or wants to go out and after a few accidents we now have to have a litter tray indoors which he uses most nights even though he can come and go when he wants.
He no longer feels like a pet and more like a very old relative who is holding on to the bitter end. Obviously he has had many a trip to the vets for both blood and urine tests and they seem content with how he is but it is obviously apparent they will not recommend we have him put down. Seeing him on a daily basis struggling to get around and looking stressed when coming indoors and howling to go back out we do believe it may be more humane to let him go now before he gets worse....
After 18 years having him we are obviously emotionally attached and believe we need some constructive help from people who have been in a similar situation to see what they did and if they believe it was the right choice.

SweetiePie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Maxuk50, and welcome to the forum!! And a HUGE welcome to your 18 year old baby who is obviously struggling right now. I am sooo sorry to hear it but know you are an amazing guardian. These are the TOUGHEST questions and we support you doing whatever it is for you, your family and your cat. We get it because nobody likes to see a family member suffer. Trust yourself to do the right thing. Put your cat first and make sure he is treated the way you'd like to be treated in the same position. Sending thoughts of strength and support. Please do update anytime you want to. Take care and welcome again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. His condition doesn't sound all that dire given his age, IMO. Not sure I ever heard about Metacam specifically for muscle wasting - it is an anti-inflammatory. But I do know that I have read a number of documents about it, and a couple of the common side effects are lethargy and apathy. Lethargy is also a possible side effect of Thyronorm. So, that could be impacting his behavior. And, it is highly likely that he has arthritis, which other meds/supplements might help - either in lieu of or in addition to the anti-inflammatory - for mobility purposes. Might be another reason he isn't all that crazy about using the cat flap. Is there anything else wrong with him besides what you have described above? Does he eat/drink well? It sounds like he uses the litter box when not outside, so that is another plus in his favor.

I have a cat who is going on 16+ and I will tell you that the majority of the day she sleeps, as well as most of the night too. I think sleeping a lot is fairly typical for older cats, especially when they hit their geriatric years. She also has some muscle wasting, which as I understand is also fairly typical in older cats. She is on supplements for her arthritis. She also howls loudly at various times of the day, sometimes for no reason I can determine, anyway.

None of these things would prompt me to think she is at the point of needing to be put down. She is, to me, like an older relative - one that I will cherish to have around as long as is possible. So, you can see my position on such matters. But, you know your life situation and your cat best, so in the end, you will need to make what you think is the best decision for both of you.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would it be possible to bring him inside full time? I think it would help to monitor him a bit more closely. You could also make sure he's eating, using the box, and things like that. I firmly believe that kitties tell us when it's time, and it sounds like your little guy has a little bit of life left in him. However, only you can tell that because you know him best.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing I would suggest is having a serious talk with your vet about the possibility of arthritis medication and/or pain management. I'd see how he does when not in pain (awkward and painful movement) before making a decision for the immediate future. He's old, but once comfortable may have a few good months/years left in him!