Is it safe to use a tick comb?

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I live in an area that is heavily tick-infested, especially during the summer months. My cats are indoor-only, but occasionally we have a friend visit with a dog, and also, as a gardener, I have a very strict tick-prevention protocol when I come indoors after gardening. But the other day, a tick was found on my living room floor, which means my protocol was not 100% effective. This means that it's possible for one of our cats to inadvertently have a tick on its coat even though they never go outdoors.

I can do a manual tick search, but could easily miss a small tick on a cat's coat. But if I use a tick comb, I worry that the teeth of the comb itself might squeeze the tick before I know it's there, and this would burst the bacteria into my cat's system rather than remove the tick whole, which is really what must be done.

If anyone has advice about this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I don't know if you would you prefer a flea and tick repellant such as from Only Natural Pet? I use their spray, although I don't spray it on Captain. I spray the product onto a folded paper towel and brush that across his fur on the back of his neck.

They have a variety of products including wipes, a powdered form, a yard spray and a collar tag etc.
Search-Results

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given your routine, I am going to suggest the tick you found came from your visiting friend's dog. Perhaps, you need to inquire about how/with what your friend's dog is being treated. It is a delicate situation, to be sure, but you do have a right to approach your friend on the subject.

Maybe during the summer months, you would consider a topical flea treatment that also addresses ticks. Frontline kills ticks and it is non-prescription. It is one of the 'safer' products out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much.
Our friend's dog is treated for (protected against?) ticks, but it is worth asking what he is being treated with.