Is It Safe To Feed Cats Very Small Kibble?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm was recommended Nulo dry food by someone on one of my cat groups, and the ingredients look very good - comparable to Cleanprotein by Dr Elsey's which costs much more.

The one thing I keep reading in reviews though is that the kibble size is very tiny - some people even complain that the kibble is so small it falls out of their cats' mouths. Cleanprotein also comes in small pieces but they look like pellets so they're easier to chew, and they're noticeably bigger than Nulo kibble, which comes in tiny discs.

My main worry with the Nulo is that it could be a choking hazard or something like that. Am I overthinking this? Other than the weirdly-shaped kibble the Nulo is perfect ingredient-wise, and I would really prefer to feed Smo this than her Purina Pro Plan, which contains menadione bisulfite.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah:

Cats aren't big on chewing kibble. It's a big part of why the whole "kibble keeps teeth clean" is bunk. It also doesn't seem to matter what size kibble I have one of mine likes to pick up big mouthfuls and shake before swallowing, throwing kibble everywhere. Keeping their food dish on a lipped tray (like a serving tray or dinner tray) really helps limit the spread of kibble.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm was recommended Nulo dry food by someone on one of my cat groups, and the ingredients look very good - comparable to Cleanprotein by Dr Elsey's which costs much more.

The one thing I keep reading in reviews though is that the kibble size is very tiny - some people even complain that the kibble is so small it falls out of their cats' mouths. Cleanprotein also comes in small pieces but they look like pellets so they're easier to chew, and they're noticeably bigger than Nulo kibble, which comes in tiny discs.

My main worry with the Nulo is that it could be a choking hazard or something like that. Am I overthinking this? Other than the weirdly-shaped kibble the Nulo is perfect ingredient-wise, and I would really prefer to feed Smo this than her Purina Pro Plan, which contains menadione bisulfite.
Are you overthinking, probably, but welcome to that club. I'll teach you our cool secret handshake :thumbsup:
If the kibble is that small odds are she'll swallow it whole without a problem.
If you're very worried about choking, you can water it down with plain water or a cat friendly broth to break her into this smaller sized kibble to slow her down a little.