Is It Safe To Call My Kitty A Persian Doll Face?

Miu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

Recently, I have a friend who is willing to sell me some kittens. So one of these kitties will be given to me:

The parents are the following:

Here's what's kinda bothering me. The mother kitty is supposed to be a ragdoll, but the pattern and eyes are totally not a ragdoll (color points and blue eyes).
Does it look like the mother is Persian-Ragdoll Mix?
If so, the kittens can be generally called a Persian doll-face breed?
Since it is their dominant ancestor?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In what country are you located? There can be local differences in breed names.

In my opinion, the father doesn't look like he has much Persian ancestry, if any. He looks like a domestic longhair. The mother has a shorter, broader face, so she might have some Persian or Ragdoll ancestry. You are correct that her coloring isn't correct for a purebred Ragdoll.

In general, since I'm assuming that these cats don't have pedigrees and registration papers, they would be considered domestic longhairs... possibly "Persian mix" or "Ragdoll mix" if you can determine whether there are actually any verifiable Persians or Ragdolls in their ancestry.

They would not be considered "doll-faced Persian," as that means a purebred Persian that simply hasn't been bred to have a flat face. Genuine doll-faced Persians also tend to have very large eyes and short little noses, even though they don't have flat faces.

Generally, if a "breeder" is combining different breeds, doesn't have pedigrees or registration papers, and isn't very clear about what breed their cats are, I wouldn't recommend getting a kitten from them. Haphazard or incorrect breed identification is often associated with other problems, such as cats not being properly socialized, health checked, etc. However, if the person is your friend, maybe you know enough about how they raise their kittens to ensure that the cats and kittens are at least being properly cared for?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm from the Philippines and naturally, we don't have longhaired cats (usually the cats are imports or island bred). He said that the father had a Siamese grandparent probably which is why the profile is not Persian. The cats are not registered and don't have papers since it was only given to him as well. He calls it an adoption fee instead of selling price. He is not really a breeder and only has this litter recently. His cats are well taken care of as they have been groomed often, with complete vaccines and regular vet checkups.

I've been quite curious about how they can be labeled especially if they have an ancestor of a particular breed. But, Domestic Longhair is totally fine and quite fitting for them. Thanks for the reply!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They cannot be called ANY purebred breed without papers. So all would definitely be Domestic Long Hair. They are beautiful cats, but without papers I wouldn't pay much for them. Absolutely beautiful kittens!

• Purraise
Reactions: Miu

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats have nice faces, but I think you should ask your vet if he/she has any cats who need homes. Odds are he will offer you a choice of kittens or cats. The advantage to getting a cat is you know exactly what it looks like and what's it's personality is. Kittens change.

But I would absolutely go for a cat with a good nose as those you have pictured. Flat faced cats sometimes have trouble breathing particularly in hot humid climates.

• Purraise
Reactions: Miu