Is It Safe For My Male Cat To Mate With My Very Pregnant Female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SardineSarahMeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have absolutely beautiful persians. I got them as kittens around the same age so they would grow up together. My female is pregnant and allows my male to mate with her even though she is very pregnant and due any day. He does not pin her down, bite her neck or pounce and she does not get angry with him and seems not to mind at all. Is this safe as she is so close to giving birth?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No! It is not safe! You should not allow this. This is not good for your female.

Your male should be neutered. Is he a relative? Is he the father of the kittens to be?

Your cats need to be separated immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SardineSarahMeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No! It is not safe! You should not allow this. This is not good for your female.

Your male should be neutered. Is he a relative? Is he the father of the kittens to be?

Your cats need to be separated immediately.
No he is not related. Yes he is the father. No I will not neuter him. I have vet insurance and my kittens are always wanted. Before I stated breeding Persians I worked in the field for over 10 years and let me tell you. We were "lucky" to see a Persian in the shelters maybe one every three to 4 years and it was always the first to be adopted, any pure breed was.

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you plan to separate your cats?

How many litters do you plan to have per year?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S SardineSarahMeow

Are you a breeder?

It is not healthy for a pregnant female to engage in mating. It can induce premature labor and even bacteria. It is just not safe.

Please do not allow this anymore.

Your female should not be bred but once per year. She should be retired no later than 5-6 years old.

SardineSarahMeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you plan to separate your cats?

How many litters do you plan to have per year?
Well, they have been together this far with no complication. Once she starts labor I will separate them. How many litters? Not many. I don't want to use her like a factory but it is my business to decide how many.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they have been together this far with no complication. Once she starts labor I will separate them. How many litters? Not many. I don't want to use her like a factory but it is my business to decide how many.
The posts above detail why they really should not be mating now. I'm not sure why you would ask the question if you think all is fine. You are endangering your cat.

It is your business, but there are standards set up with the welfare of the cats in mind. I hope you will follow them.

SardineSarahMeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The posts above detail why they really should not be mating now. I'm not sure why you would ask the question if you think all is fine. You are endangering your cat.

It is your business, but there are standards set up with the welfare of the cats in mind. I hope you will follow them.
Where did you pull these standards of one litter per year out of?

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually don't say anything but Both of them know what they are talking about. They have helped me very much the last couple months and are very knowledgeable and I would absolutely listen to anything they say and the advice they give. A very straight answer was given as to why it's not good for Momma or the kittens yet you said you would still keep them together til she breeds.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to breed your cats to people who want them, then that is your prerogative. I bred miniature horses for over 15 years, and it was up to me as to how many a year and how often I bred. But, that doesn't mean I didn't take advice from people who had been breeding for over 30 years.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These are standards set by official breeders' associations. You should consider following them.

It's not an insult to you at all. It should be taken as educational for the well-being of the cats.

Be very careful. Persians sometimes have difficulties delivering due to their head size. Is this her first litter?

I hope all goes well for your kitty!

Last edited:

SardineSarahMeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I asked out of curiosity if anyone has experienced any adverse effects of this, I haven't. I wonder how many litters these others posters have produced. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have pet insurance either.

SardineSarahMeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have purchased kittens from official breeders and they don't have one litter per year from their queen.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? How many litters has she had?

The standard for almost all breed clubs is a maximum of 3 litters in 2 years.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked out of curiosity if anyone has experienced any adverse effects of this, I haven't. I wonder how many litters these others posters have produced. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have pet insurance either.
I'm curious then, what exactly was your point in coming here?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
An experienced breeder would know the answer to this. In fact someone who worked in a shelter would be aware of the possible complications of allowing this to go on. Your soon to deliver Queen should not be subjected to this kind of stress even if your don't perceive it as being stressful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S SardineSarahMeow

We've told you it's not a good idea to allow your male to continue to mate with your pregnant female for very good reasons, which was your original question.

We've offered a bit of free advice hence, but if you don't want it, that's okay.

We are only here to help. :)

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as a random note, pet insurance in the US doesn't cover any kind of breeding-related situations. C-sections, pregnancy ultrasounds, etc. are all specifically excluded. So just in case someone is reading this and thinks that they can get pet insurance and have their breeding expenses covered. . .not in the US. I don't know about other countries.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mod Note:
The purpose of the Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum is to help cat owners with their cat's pregnancies, deliveries and young kitten care; no matter the reason the cat came to be pregnant. However; we are first and foremost a Pro spay and neuter community. Purposeful breeding outside of a ethical, registered breeding program is strongly discouraged.
Just as a random note, pet insurance in the US doesn't cover any kind of breeding-related situations. C-sections, pregnancy ultrasounds, etc. are all specifically excluded. So just in case someone is reading this and thinks that they can get pet insurance and have their breeding expenses covered. . .not in the US. I don't know about other countries.
Thank you for bringing this important detail to our attention! I have never considered this as one of the limitations of pet insurance.

This thread will now be closed for further discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.