Is it really necessary to do blood test on kittens before spaying

AnnieLu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have two kittens that's six months old need to be spayed but the vet I usually go is too pricy for spaying. I find a clinic that only do spay or neuter. It's more affordable for me but it doesn't include blood test.

Is it necessary to do blood test for kittens before spaying?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, your kittens will be undergoing anaesthesia and the vet needs to ensure that they don't have any health concerns that could put them at risk. It would irresponsible for a vet to agree to conduct surgery without a blood test first, in my opinion.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As you can see there are varying opinions about this. The vet that I was taking mine to when they were still kittens offered it as an option. I got it done because at that time the Columbus zoo had just lost their tiger. Things seemed off with him and of course anesthetic is needed to examine a large wild cat. He didn't survive. Blood work should always be done before anesthetic with an older cat, with a kitten it is truly optional.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnnieLu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But besides whether doing blood test, why the price of doing spay or neuter range widely among different clinics?
Is it really better if spay at "not so affordable" clinics ?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This article outlines the differences. While there are more safeguards at your personal vet, low cost spay and neuter places are much more experienced and quicker, which is safer when it comes to anesthesia. I'd probably take my personal pets to my vet, but most shelter cats go to the low cost clinics.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have blood test when my boy was done. But he was done at a low cost vet. They just listened to his heart and gave him a basic check said he was healthy.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
But besides whether doing blood test, why the price of doing spay or neuter range widely among different clinics?
Is it really better if spay at "not so affordable" clinics ?
I think the difference in cost is when you go to a vet in private practice, they've got overhead. Rent or property taxes, water, electric, and equipment. Add to that they have to pay any vet techs and receptionist. They also need to make a profit so they can live, and the cost of living varies greatly by region.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If I have been doing a lot of ferals, I sometimes skip the blood test to save money. But these cats are invariably healthy kittens of about 4 to 6 months...at least healthy in appearance. I would not skip any blood work on my own animals though.