Is it possible to separate mixed litter without wasting?

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently switched Milo and Phoebe to clay litter, and so far it's going much better than I expected! They used to play with the paper pellets, and I was very worried I would have the same problem with clay, but so far the worst that has happened is Phoebe getting a little bit on her nose from digging.

Well, I wanted to try out a few mixes of litters to maybe reduce some costs. I was using Dr.Elsey's Ultra during the switch from the paper, and I loved that it had virtually no dust at all! The only thing that was a bit annoying was it didn't always clump very well, and tended to stick to the box. So, while out getting food for them I saw a box of Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal Absorbx, and when reading some reviews there was mention that it clumped really well (spoiler alert it doesn't really) and it was relatively inexpensive so I grabbed a box. It was time to change the litter that day, so I did about 2/3 Dr.Elsey's and 1/3 of the A & H. I noticed there was a fair amount of dust from the A & H when filling the boxes, but it wasn't enough for me to regret anything yet. Then they actually started using the litter boxes and I felt so dumb...

The A & H is a lightweight litter (didn't even notice until I actually opened the box, curse me for not reading the full front label), and my cats are flickers and diggers so the litter is practically everywhere in my apartment at this point. But the part that's bothering me the most is the DUST. This A & H is turning poor Phoebe's black paw pads WHITE, and I'm sure inhaling it is not fun at all for them. I've been wiping their paws off with a wet wash cloth, only water, every time they get out of the litter box but it's a bit of a hassle and annoying for them I'm sure. I only changed the boxes two or three days ago, so I would really hate to waste the Dr. Elsey's because of the A & H, but the dust is excruciating at this point. Does anyone have any idea how I can maybe separate them? Like I said the A & H is lightweight so the granules are basically microscopic. I'm not sure if there is a sifter or something that would be fine enough to do this, and if I really have to throw it out I will but I was hoping to maybe save some litter.

I had another thread where Fresh Step Clean Paws + Dr. Elsey's was suggested and I'm planning to try that next! After I figure out this mess :doh: Any suggestions are helpful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Dr Elsey’s. I have an air purifier that sits right next to her box. For the clumps sticking- after cleaning the box, wipe it down with vegetable oil before putting the new litter in.