Is it possible to clicker train a cat that has no interest in food treats?

chat2008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am grateful for all the feedback I've been getting here on a difficult new cat introduction we've been going through. One of many things that I would like to try, to possibly help make the two cats (resident 4 y.o. girl and new 2 y.o. bigger male) supervised sessions more positive for them is clicker training. We are still keeping them separated, after 2.5 weeks, when not closely supervised because they are still quite adversarial.

Is there any practical way to clicker train without the cat being interested in treats? Our resident has several favorite treats, but the new boy, while loving his special Rx diet (urinary SO) when hungry, does not have any interest in any treat we've tried so far. We have not yet tried raw liver or anything like that though- but that would hardly be practical for clicker training without giving them indigestion.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is possible.  Just like whenever they hear the can opener, mine come a runnin'!!  So whenever you give the treat, just click and soon it will associate the click with a treat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chat2008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, the problem with our new cat is that he has no interest in any treats. He eats heartily when hungry, but won't eat a treat when you offer it... Perhaps I just need to massively expand my trial and error as there are so many types of cat treats out there- of course, many are sugary, literally.

Last edited:

coloradokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What if you did clicker training at breakfast or dinner time and use his meal as the treat? We do that with our dogs sometimes. And another plus is that you're not adding any extra calories to his diet. 

chat2008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not a bad suggestion, Coloradokitty... Its sure better than nothing. Harder to get the same repetition as treats, but we'll try it- thanks.

coloradokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he eat dry? If so, just use each individual kibble as a treat when you're training. If he will only eat it out of a bowl instead of when you offer, have his bowl handy and toss it in there. Let me know how it goes. I've done a lot of clicker training with my dogs but I'm definitely thinking of trying it out with my cats, too.

chat2008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eats dry (though he seems to prefer wet for now so we dont want go five him too much taste for dry; our resident kitty eats only dry and refuses wet) but doesnt respond to them treat like, strangely, even when hungry.

annie_belle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love the fact that you are looking to clicker training as an option! 

The suggestion to "time" the training sessions was spot on.  When you can, create a training session before the cat has it's meal...and keep the sessions to just a couple of minutes.  Unlike dogs, the cat will most likely tire and walk off in a short time.

When you began working with the clicker, did you "charge it" with your cat?  Meaning, were you able to build the association with the clicker and a treat...even without asking the cat to do anything?  The first time I used clicker training was when we were building the relationship with the "stray" that had lived in our house 2 owners before us...but had been abandoned after Hurricane Katrina...to be on her own for 4 years.  By using the clicker and treats, we built the trust that allowed us to grow into her being our inside kitty!

For the reward, I used tiny bits of the smelliest cat food we could find....one that I knew she really went nuts for...and, I only used it for training.  She was on dry food otherwise.  Being an older cat,and rather cross eyed, we never really progressed beyond the primary level of training...when I tried to teach her to follow a cue stick, I just don't think she could see it! 

My initial introduction was with Karen Pryors "Clicker Training For Cats" book.  Great foundation of information.

Anyhoo...hopefully you have made progress....I'm such a supporter of clicker training with cats, that I wanted to jump in and "talk" about it!

Until next time...Annie

chat2008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anniebelle- thanks- great suggestions. We havent actually started clicker training yet- not even "charging" the clicker. i just ordered that book you used, to supplement the many sites and youtube videos on clicker training- all in all looks like a fantastic way to enrich a cats life a little bit with some new talents. The Russian Blue that we adopted (well, stil fostering but things are looking good to go all the way) runs after balls or mice that are thrown, so I am trying to figure out a way that I might use clicer training to teach him to fetch, which would make for a great interactive game.

Last edited: