Is It Possible For An Entire Litter Of Kittens To Have The Same Food Allergy?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have six foster kittens who have had liquid diarrhea for about two weeks now. They’ve been to the shelter vet. The stool sample came back negative, but they gave me some panacur and prescription dietary food made of chicken. That didn’t work so I’ve been giving them S. Boulardii and Pet Ultimates probiotics for a few days and there were a few solid poops in the litter box this morning, but still a lot of diarrhea. A few people have suggested a food intolerance to chicken and turkey, but I guess I’ve been doubtful because I’ve never seen an entire litter have a food allergy this bad! What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and try rabbit protein or ask the shelter to try different dewormers?

They are eating really well, gaining weight, and keeping hydrated (I’m giving pedialyte). I did email the shelter telling them the diarrhea hasn’t gone away, but they are extremely slow to respond.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well it might not hurt to try Rabbit, but like you im a little more likely to think something else going on. My very first thoughts are Giardia. Even with a negative test its normally the cause, in my experience. And one round of treatment often will not deal with the problem.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would suspect either Giardia or Coccidia, both of which are pretty rampant in shelter kittens, bless their furry little hearts! Do you know if they were tested specifically for those two? And as duckpond duckpond mentions, false negatives are common!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suspect a parasite as well, the float test isn't completely accurate by a long shot. Allergies usually develop over time rather then being something that kittens are born with. There is a test that has to be sent out that is far more accurate, of course it costs more and this sounds like a rescue situation so I don't know if the money would be available. It would only have to be done on one though because they probably all have the same one. It's called the Fecal PCR test.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! Sounds like everyone’s in agreement that it’s more likely to be a parasite, which is what I was thinking as well. They do test for coccidia, but not giardia. Instead of doing a more in-depth depth fecal test, they’ll probably just assume that’s what it is and treat for it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Two weeks of diarrhea is awful!

I agree that it is probably a parasite. Hopefully they will give you Albon or Metronidazole if the kittens are old enough.

As was mentioned, parasites do not always show up in the float fecals in the office.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To answer the question. Its probably fully possible a whole litter has the same food allerghy, if its hereditary. If momma / daddy had the gene fault, at least half the litter will get the gene too... (most common faulty genes are recessive, and if so, you need this faulty gene both from momma and daddy, which suddenly makes it rare in a whole litter. Still...) If the faulty gene is dominant at least half of the litter will get it.
There are theoretical possibilites yes.

That said, its surely NOT the case here, but almost surely some sort of parasite. Which you are already probing for.

Observe also, there is often a high pressure of parasite (and virus) contagion in many shelters, esp if they have many kittens together, and cant afford scrupulous hygiene nor quarantene. They do of course what they can for deworming, BUT the parasites tend to become used for this with time. Its a survivor situation over many generations for the parasites... They are in a way selecting forward hardcore parasites and bacteria, used and unsensitive for the most common antibiotics and dewormers.

So, if you have a parasite case which cant be dealt with with standard dewormers whom "ough" help, it may be an idea to try with some lesser common dewormer.
Consult your vet what alternative dewormer / deparasiter to use.

You mentioned rabbit. Rabbit is a meat which has a low natural content of taurine. Much lower than other meats. Now, industrial made cat foods have usually added taurine, especielly if the food is for kittens, but still.
If you want to use rabbit meat as the base of their food, you must look up if taurine is added.

Occasionally rabbit is of course no problem with, and may be a welcome change for a day or two. Added taurine or not.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I finally convinced the shelter vet to do another fecal exam and lo and behold, they have coccidia. They are on Albon now for nine days.

One of the kittens actually had to be admitted to an ER vet and stay there tonight because of dehydration and lethargy. I won’t go into a rant, but I’ll just say that my shelter vet clinic needs to get their s**t together. They told me for two weeks that liquid diarrhea in 6-7 week old kittens “isn’t urgent” until I literally had to beg them for an appointment.

I’m back to feeding chicken and turkey now that I know it isn’t an intolerance.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you finally got them to do the tests. Diarrhea is always a serious issue, especially with young kittens. And Giardia and or coccidia is quite often the cause. which is why my vet always treats for those, just right off the bat. If they do not get better with the treatment keep after the vets. with both Giardia and coccidia sometimes multiple doses are needed.

Hopefully they will all be better soon! And im glad you can feed the poultry foods again, makes life easier!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry that you had to fight so hard to get these kittens tested, but SO HAPPY that you now know the name of the culprits, and are evicting those little buggers as we speak!

Yes, the vet should have been far more attentive. But before I go on a rampage, I will remind everyone that shelter vets are vastly underpaid, underassisted, over worked, undersupplied, and often at the end of their ropes to the point that "nothing that isn't bleeding out right now is an emergency." That's a horrible, horrible thing, but it does happen.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a happy update! They’ve had solid poo for a few weeks now and everyone is back on track! They’re ten weeks old and right around 2 lbs. I can’t wait to see these babies find their forever homes after having such a rough start to life. Thank you all for the support and responses! <3

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am THRILLED! Good job, and good luck to these babies in their new, loving and FOREVER homes!