Is It Possible Cat Is Not Stray?

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there , I am wondering if it's possible a stray cat I have been feeding for the past 6-7 months is not really stray? Has anyone heard of something like that, where an outdoor/indoor cat that has a home but still comes to eat at someone else's ? I know it's not likely but I guess I was just wondering if that ever happens because this cat Iv been feeding is on the fat side , lol. I don't know where it goes but always comes to eat in the morning and evening. It's also not that scared but will not come up to me to pet it . Has eaten around me nearby and also meows at me ,like a soft meow .

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's possible he has a home or that he has multiple feeders. You could put a collar (breakaway) on him with a note saying to contact you. If he has multiple feeders, then just coordinate feedings somewhat so he doesn't go hungry. If he has a home, talk to them and maybe reduce feedings or adjust. I know if someone was feeding my cats I'd ask them to either stop or provide them food to prevent tummy upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you find anything else out about this stray??
No I have not found anything out..Iv been feeding him or her since February and I thought at first she was pregnant because she eats alot and is on the fat side..but I was paying attention to see if she would slim down but her body has been the same so I don't think she was pregnant after all do now I'm just assuming she's a chubbier kitty. I was just wondering if anyone heard of a cat that would willingly go eat extra food?
Honestly I do think it is a stray but I just was hoping there may be a chance it did belong to someone because I live in Michigan and it's really going to be hard seeing her suffer the bitter winter we get :frown: I am not able to take her in but I continue to feed her morning and evening.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, I've got a cat that will eat anything in sight, including jalapeno bagels. Yes, there are cats that will go around begging for food. Several of our cats did that when I was growing up, and as we lived on a busy street, that was the end of some of them. If I were you, I would try the collar thing and see if you can stop feeding her. She doesn't need so much food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was just wondering if anyone heard of a cat that would willingly go eat extra food?
Some cats are prone to be food driven and therefore could likely eat more food than they necessarily need. If s/he has a few people that feed it, but wasn't always so lucky in getting enough to eat, that memory of the food deprived days can stay with a cat for their entire lives.

My Feeby was found at around 2yo relatively emaciated, she is now 15+ and has always been overweight as I just don't think she has ever forgotten whatever it was that happened to her before she was found. She has always checked her bowl to make sure there is some food in it even if she doesn't eat it right then.

Did you consider taking a pic of him/her and going around the neighborhood to see if anyone else is feeding it, or perhaps someone who allows it to be an indoor/outdoor cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate it! I am not able to do the collar thing because she won't let me get close enough . She will come pretty close and hang out here and will meow when I open the door to greet her but if I try to approach her she will run. There are some rare days where she will miss a feeding and I get worried if something happened but most days she is here morning and night for feedings. I worry that I feed her too much but she will wait here for more food sometimes so I feel bad. And she has came in snow for food and in rain. I guess I could ask neighbors if they know anything though. My cat is picky and not a crazy eater so I was just wondering if other cats might eat extra food if offered by others. So I guess it is possible but who knows : /

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to look in the feral section and build her a house for winter.

More than her not being a stray, it's likely that she wasn't but then either lost her people to death, or was abandoned. The second would explain why she won't let you get too close to her.