is it okay to toss a cat to the ground?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat, i just got her 6-7 months ago. my sister in law sometimes carries my cat out of a room, and then tosses her to the ground. the cat (her name is Kitty) doesnt seem upset or hurt, and she doesnt do it roughly. she says that a cat wont get hurt from just being tossed to the ground because of their ability to jump high.

but i just worry about my cat. can she get hurt from being tossed like that? im living in my brothers place right now and dont want to cause problems. i will say something however if it is harmful to my cat. her safety is more important than keeping peace.

lokiandsmokey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very new to this forum so I can't say for sure if it is harmful or not but it seems awful mean to the poor cat that likely has no idea why it is being tossed around. I would speak up and just very respectfully ask her to please not throw or toss my cat around and if the cat was causing trouble to let me know so I could deal with it personally.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like really tossed down or she lets the cat jump out of her arms? It probably looks like I toss my cats around but they are jumping (except one. . .if she isn't paying attention she'll fall when I try to put her down :tongue2:). As long as it's not forceful I think the cat is probably jumping.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat, i just got her 6-7 months ago. my sister in law sometimes carries my cat out of a room, and then tosses her to the ground. the cat (her name is Kitty) doesnt seem upset or hurt, and she doesnt do it roughly. she says that a cat wont get hurt from just being tossed to the ground because of their ability to jump high.

but i just worry about my cat. can she get hurt from being tossed like that? im living in my brothers place right now and dont want to cause problems. i will say something however if it is harmful to my cat. her safety is more important than keeping peace.
Even if the cat is not hurt, this is not the proper way to treat an innocent animal. Your S-I-L seems to be carrying some hostility either toward your cat, or toward you, to make her behave this way. Why doens't she just leave your cat alone? I would not allow this behavior to continue, but of course as already mentioned, do try to broach the subject in a non-aggressive way, such as the advice in the below quote:

I'm very new to this forum so I can't say for sure if it is harmful or not but it seems awful mean to the poor cat that likely has no idea why it is being tossed around. I would speak up and just very respectfully ask her to please not throw or toss my cat around and if the cat was causing trouble to let me know so I could deal with it personally.

:2cts:

:yeah:

PS the thing is, this kind of mistreatment could lead to behavior problems in the cat. She could become fearful. She may become aggressive to humans. It could be causing her stress that will cause an illness such as a urinary tract infection, which could lead to litter box avoidance, in addition to the subsequent vet bills. No good can come of it, and there is no reason for the S-I-L to be treating her this way.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no she holds her below her arms and tosses her.
Yes this could cause injury to your cat. She could cause a shoulder to become dislocated, for example, from the inappropriate hold and force of throw.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, then, yes, I'd have to that could be damaging. Even though cats can jump a long way, they know how they're jumping and prepare their bodies for it. If thrown in an unnatural manner they can get hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, thanks guys! i always did get this ugly feeling when she would toss her.

i talked to her, and told her if she has any problems with my cat, to let me know and i'll take the cat away when she is bugging her. but to not toss her anymore for the safety of the cat. i tried to be friendly because i just want my cat to be safe and dont want anyone hurting her out of irritation. i'll have to keep a lookout just in case. thanks everyone!

kitty is thankful too!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitty is too cute for words!!

I wouldn't 'toss' the cat, by physically pushing/throwing her down. Dropping gently is OK, but not tossing. The cat might not expect it and land the wrong way and get injured.

That's great you've asked her not to handle your cat this way anymore :)

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is adorable!

I agree with the others, don't let her do that- the cat could get hurt- even when they do jump from great heights, they choose to do so and can work their body in a way not to get hurt, and even then sometimes they do get hurt.......

What did your sister in law say when you confronted her?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is adorable!

I agree with the others, don't let her do that- the cat could get hurt- even when they do jump from great heights, they choose to do so and can work their body in a way not to get hurt, and even then sometimes they do get hurt.......

What did your sister in law say when you confronted her?

She said it was fine, that she would call me when she needed to remove the cat from her room. I have my niece and sister watching to see how she interacts with the cat, and im keeping an eye out too. its frustrating cause she doesnt want her in her room, but she insists on keeping her door open. there are two dogs in the house that sleep indoors, and one tries to get into my room, and i just simply close my room to keep him out.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She said it was fine, that she would call me when she needed to remove the cat from her room. I have my niece and sister watching to see how she interacts with the cat, and im keeping an eye out too. its frustrating cause she doesnt want her in her room, but she insists on keeping her door open. there are two dogs in the house that sleep indoors, and one tries to get into my room, and i just simply close my room to keep him out.
That seems silly, if you want the cat to stay out- close the door! goodness

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the living arrangement like there? It sounds like you have quite a bit of extended family living under one roof. I only ask because it would be easier to enforce some rules if you were in a position of power in the house, and it might be a bit difficult convincing someone to close their door, etc, if they feel you have no authority over them.

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if she may be scared of cats, or just be unaware of how to carry them. Perhaps you could also demonstrate a way to safely carry and transport your cat.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if she may be scared of cats, or just be unaware of how to carry them. Perhaps you could also demonstrate a way to safely carry and transport your cat.
i dont know, she says she likes cats, but she looks at my cat and treats her in a way as if she doesnt like her. its simpler to just tell her not to be moving her, and just call me if she needs me to move my cat.

i wish i could move out, its frustrating having to live with other people and not being able to say what i truly want to say.

chase

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For a long time I did toss my cat on the ground because I didn't think it hurt him but by reading all those replies I realized that it was wrong so thanks guys for all your replies. I don't know if it helped that woman but it sure helped me.  

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That seems silly, if you want the cat to stay out- close the door! goodness
The original issue might be a bit out of date, but for some folks just closing the door is easier said than done.  During winter if I keep the door closed at my room in my parents' house it will be freezing in no time at all.  This fact caused quite a bit of trouble when I had to keep Stella confined to the bedroom when I was visiting them- I had to keep her locked in my bathroom for hours at a time just so my bedroom was open to the warmth of the rest of the house! 

That said, it's possible that the sister is just being difficult...

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a long time I did toss my cat on the ground because I didn't think it hurt him but by reading all those replies I realized that it was wrong so thanks guys for all your replies. I don't know if it helped that woman but it sure helped me.  
Yes, it did help me. Thankfully, no one has tossed my cat since i posted this question, everyone has been respectful. Even my sis in law, she just calls me when she needs the cat out.
The original issue might be a bit out of date, but for some folks just closing the door is easier said than done.  During winter if I keep the door closed at my room in my parents' house it will be freezing in no time at all.  This fact caused quite a bit of trouble when I had to keep Stella confined to the bedroom when I was visiting them- I had to keep her locked in my bathroom for hours at a time just so my bedroom was open to the warmth of the rest of the house! 

That said, it's possible that the sister is just being difficult...
The thing is, she doesnt mind the cat in her room, what bugs her, is that my cat liked getting on her window sill that she doesnt clean. By the way, having the door closed is not a big deal, they usually have their door closed, but my sis in law, liked to have it open so she can watch TV, and watch her daughter play in the living room. lol but things are okay now, so thanks everyone!