Is It Okay To Let 5 Month Old Kitten Roam House While At Work?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maria_c5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a similar problem years ago when we first got two 4 1/2 month old kittens. We lived in a house that had stairs and balcony that overlooked hardwood floors 10 ft below. I had the same worry that they would accidentally slip between the railings when playing around and fall onto the floor.

It looked silly, but what we did was get some of those thin 3'x2' compressed fiber mounting boards (I think we got them at Hobby Lobby) and then used heavy-duty velcro-tape to latch them onto the railings. We placed them side by side all along the railing so there were no gaps for them to get through. We also attached a mounting board to a babygate so we could go through, but they couldn't.

I then got paranoid that they would jump over the top of the boards since they were only 3' tall, so one night I taped cardboard all along the top so it was too tall for them to jump over. It looked utterly ridiculous, but it worked well enough for 2-3 months. Eventually I got more comfortable about their abilities to navigate the stairs and took it all down. They never did have any problems with the stairs.

It wouldn't be a permanent solution, but if you only need it temporarily until she gets older, something like that might work for you.
I think i will try this, thank you! Yes i will do this temporarily until she gets a little bigger and is able to navigate her surroundings better :)