Is it okay to get a cats fur trimmed

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a domestic long hair cat, she is part Persian I am wondering does cat fur grow back and would it be right to get her trimmed, or even her bum area shaved cause she always has dags? I also have a short hair cat who has very thick fur would it right to get her fur thinned out, I know I should brush them but it takes a long time when they get sick of a brush after 2 mins I love my girls but I would like if I can get there fur trimmed so there lower maintenance and my clothes won't get covered in cat fur every time I pat them, they literally malt a lot of fur constantly not enough to be a health concern but enough that My clothes are covered in cat fur every time I leave the house unless I spend 30mins using a lint roller please advice and oppions

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not really big on trimming or shaving, or unless it's for medical reasons (although with the few incredibly hot days we've had this summer I think my two would have welcomed it.. they actually enjoyed a bath!). 

To be honest if it's to stop shedding, you will have to keep them constantly trimmed and apart from them being unlikely to enjoy it, it would get extremely expensive.

There are excellent grooming brushes and combs available that remove a lot of loose hair.  There are also wipes you can get

Have a read of this article, and it links to another one as well:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/seven-reasons-why-you-should-regularly-groom-your-cat

I think that when you have cats in your life, the hair goes with the territory and we all find ways to cope with it.