Is It Okay To Feed A Single Raw Protein?

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So. I have compiled a complete list of the things that my cat will voluntarily eat on a regular basis: Ritz crackers, Friskies (shredded chicken only), plastic bags, Fancy Feast (gravy flavors only), cheese from Lunchables, and Primal freeze dried pork. That's all, folks.

As much as he'd like to sustain on Lunchables, I'm not crazy about his plan. I also want to feed something healthier than Friskies and Fancy Feast. So my question is, is it okay if all he ever eats is freeze dried pork? He won't eat the other varieties. Or is it a necessity that he gets rotating proteins? Thanks!

(*I don't really feed my cat Lunchables, much to his disappointment.)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not sure i would feed only one food, one flavor. I have a cat that fixates on one food and does not want anything else. I panic if i cant find her food, on back order, or they change the recipe, or heaven forbid discontinue it like they did Evo. My other cats eat quite a variety of foods, so its no problem with them, but with her its a big deal to get her to eat anything else.

Plus i always remember the wellness recall due to low thiamine levels, the Stella and chewy recall due to Listeria contamination, and many others. If this was the only food a cat was eating it could have bad consequences. I like to feed several different brands to minimize some of these risks. These are my reasons anyway :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond , I'm concerned due to such reasons, as well. :ohwell: How did you handle it with your picky kitty? Did you find any other brands that she likes?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
duckpond duckpond , I'm concerned due to such reasons, as well. :ohwell: How did you handle it with your picky kitty? Did you find any other brands that she likes?
odd story with her, when i first got her she was about 8 weeks old, rescue had spayed her, to young i think. she ate anything, and loved wet foods. she had a lot of problem with her spay, had to have surgery 3 times, and spend two weeks at the vets. I took her favorite wet foods for her to eat while there. When she came home she would not touch any of her foods, at all. I had some evo dry that she had not eaten in the hospital, and thats all she would eat for the next year or two. Then Dr. Elsey's dry food came out and i tried it for the other cats. she liked it :) good thing because now evo is no longer made :( But i like Elsey's better anyway.

My other cats eat a lot of different wet foods, and i try with her, she will not touch most any of them. she will nibble a little Earthborn Catalina catch or Monterrey medley , and that's it. She really only wants Elseys dry, no other dry, and no wet :( I worry......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, that poor baby! Well I've heard it said that sometimes the "best" food is the one that your cat will eat, I guess that's true in her case! Thank you for your input. :touched:

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm concerned due to such reasons, as well. :ohwell: How did you handle it with your picky kitty? Did you find any other brands that she likes
Just as a suggestion, if you can't find a food your kitty loves, maybe try using toppers. My picky kitty would rather starve than eat half the foods I offer, but if I sprinkle on some crushed Pure Bites or crush up a single Instinct Raw Boost Mixer over his food he'll eat all, or most, of it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as a suggestion, if you can't find a food your kitty loves, maybe try using toppers. My picky kitty would rather starve than eat half the foods I offer, but if I sprinkle on some crushed Pure Bites or crush up a single Instinct Raw Boost Mixer over his food he'll eat all, or most, of it.
Yes, this is what we do, too. Our pickier cat loves Pure Bites (we buy the dog-sized treats in big bags and crumble them) and egg yolk powder (from Food Fur Life). Ireland will eat just about anything with those on top. Though would probably also prefer Lunchables.:p

I suspect it's Primal pork that your cat likes so much, is that right? Our cats love that food, too, so much that I had to bring it back after switching their FD menu a bit. One way to try to introduce a little variety might be to sneak a few chunks of another brand into a mix with the pork. We do that with Northwest Naturals (handily available in small bags) and Feline Natural foods. Another thought: If it's pork your cat is fixated on, you could try homemade. We feed one meal a day of EZ Complete-supplemented cooked meat. Ireland loves that, too, and pork is a favorite.

Good luck! It definitely is good to feed multiple foods if you can since supply issues and recalls and recipe changes and changing cat opinions can become problems when there's only one food on the menu!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my girls will eat the duck and the chicken Nature's Variety Instinct cans. They tend to eat the variety pack with different meats on the Tiki After Dark, but end up leaving giblets behind. We've done a variety pack of Weruva Cats in the Kitchen and they did well with the Lamburgerini. We just did I and Love and You variety pack, and the winner was actually the Purrky Turkey, not the Chicken Me Out. One thing the ladies pretty much never favor are the seafood blends. They don't care about Salmon and Cod too much. I'm not sure about tuna. I think I can figure something out if they stop eating their main Nature's Variety Instinct chicken I buy every.single.month.
I also have a sample of EZComplete I need to see is the girls will each with home prepped meat.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, let’s hear it for Pure Bites! :yess: That’s how I get Iris to eat any protein other than chicken. Once she gets through the dusting of Pure Bites on top of whatever I’m trying to con her into eating, she usually keeps going. Otherwise, she’d eat only the chicken (with supplements) I make.