Is it OK to let my Cat outside?

gzartman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my cat from an animal shelter. They estimated her age at 1 year +. The shelter found her as a stray cat with a litter of kittens.

Since I adopted my cat, I've been pretty strict about keeping her as an indoor cat only, but she is desires to go outside. I've let her out a couple times and she usually comes back within a couple hours. I live in a pretty good and low traffic neighborhood and my cat has all her shots and she is fixed.

I'm inclined to let her out in my back yard on occasion, which she has managed to escape from and show up at my front door.

What do you all think?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There traffic, coyotes and foxes. And don't underestimate the harm another cat can do. Even if they won't kill your cat, they can cause nasty wounds and big vet bills. There are cats that get lost.

My last indoor/outdoor cat? I can't be sure, I didn't pay the vet $800 to do the tests she wanted, but its likely he died from heartworm which scars the cats lungs gradually decreasing lung capacity to problem levels. If you let your cat outside and don't pay extra to add heartworm protection to your standard flea and tick, (Revolution, its a presciption cat med that does flea/tick & heartworm) your cat might have the same issue. I didn't let him outside much, but over the years, I guess the lung scarring added up.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a really debatable question, but if you live in a town, not out in the country, I personally say no. There are a lot of risks of letting your cat out, wild animals, other cats and dogs, vehicles, mean humans, as well as accidents can happen. If you want to let the cat out the safest option is to leash and harness train it so you can take it out for walks.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's safest for your kitty, and for your heart to keep her inside. It's really a terrible thing to have a cat not come home, and not know what happened to it. And, though I never had to do it, my Dad had to search for one of our cats when I was a kid, and he found the cat's body in the gutter of the street where he'd been hit by a car. It was heart-breaking, as he was the sweetest cat ever. :bawling:

You might want to also check the contract you signed with the shelter, as some include a clause that you keep the cat as indoor only.

If you find she really wants to go out, maybe try harness training.
Harness And Leash Training For Cats | TheCatSite

And if she seems bored inside, maybe this TCS article will be helpful:
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite

Kvla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would personally say no. Domestic cats are invasive species and are the reason for a lot of loss wildlife. Plus, the dangers out there (especially at night if your cat doesn't come home) outweigh the benefits

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A catio might be an option. Your cat can be outside but safe from dangers. You can look online for images of catios. Some are pretty expansive with lots of ramps and perches and such but you don't need to go all out. Such large catios may require a building permit. A small catio works for most people and their cats. If you have a balcony or deck or porch, there are ways to convert those into a catio.

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your cat wants to go outside, you can allow her to do so by harness training her and taking her on a walk, or by using a catio. The risks are many and varied for your cat, and cats are also invasive predators wreaking significant havoc on many wildlife populations. Keep your kitty and your ecosystems safe by not letting her free roam.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat was indoor only but allowed out in the backyard because she always stayed in the yard. My current 3 are indoor only as they are too young to stay in the backyard but we are getting them a catio when we move next year. A catio is a safe way to let your cat outside :) I haven't taken them out even on a harness/leash as I worry about them wanting to bolt out the door. Fynn got out once when my mom opened the door, he stayed on the front steps completely terrified thankfully and hasn't tried it again lol. Which I am happy about, we have not one but 3 roads right in front of our house, 2 are super busy. I also volunteer at a rescue and you would be shocked to know how many people try to keep or rehome "strays" without even looking for an owner.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tuff is strictly indoors and I am so happy with this arrangement. He is 5 and never been sick or had a flea. He has plenty of windows to look out of to watch birds and squirrels. A very contented cat!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost too many cats while I was growing up to let my two now go out. None of the dozen or so cats we had lived more than a year or two. And it's heartbreaking to see the sweetest cat you had, a nursing mother, lying dead on the street.