Is It Ok To Give My 7 Month Old Cat L-lysine Supplement And Probiotic Supplement Together?

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been having diarreah for 3 weeks and my vet tested his poop and there no signs of anything. I have been changing his food but returning tot he older brand hasn't helped. Thats why I want to give him probiotics to see if it helps. He also has allergies so I want to give him some immune support as I heard many having success with L Lysine

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a member who's an expert with this but wanted to mention along with, (or even instead of so you can more readily keep track of which one works for the runny poops), the probiotics, you could also try adding some plain pumpkin. Try a 1/4 teaspoon to begin with, daily.

Regarding the allergies, may I ask, is this food related? Dust? Fleas? Scented air fresheners?

If it's food related, chicken can often be a trigger, and I'm seeing that chicken is an Ingredient in the brand of lysine that I have.

Oh, also, if you find that you need to, Walgreens has a handy pill chopper that works when a person needs to break up oversized treats, meds, etc.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One other thing I thought of, if you aren't already, give your kitty filtered water. If you utilize a filter pitcher, be sure and give it a deep clean now and then to avoid build-up :)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the caution, I learned recently the hard way, regarding probiotics.

Slow. Ease them into it. The sudden change in gut flora can cause diarrhea - the exact thing you are trying to overcome.

So a little bit at a time and work your way up to whatever the dose for the probiotic is suppose to be.

I'm curious to about the question Furballsmom Furballsmom asked regarding allergies. Food allergy is a pain to deal with. We can certainly try to help a bit there too.

bluepine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive had some trouble with diarrhea this wkend too. Wonered if it could be my probiotic ? I use Wholistic, but had switched to a Mercola brand. Major diarrhea for one of my girls. So now trying to switch back. What brands do you all use?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ATM I recently started Charlie with ForitFlora. I'm researching other ones as he may need something stronger / more good bacteria in it.

A note on ForitFlora - I'm not sure about the other ones - there is beef it in. Part of the probiotic comes from beef. So, if your cat has an allergy / sensitivity to beef ForitFlora can be an issue.

Always add / change the probiotic slowly. Watch for allergic reactions to it as well.

bluepine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info on probiotics. They are (were ) doing well on the Wholelistic and I liked that it had digestive ens as well. I fed a raw homemade diet that they have thrived on. Both have Feline Herpes, so nutrition I feel is important. Iam at work but maybe later I should start a thread on this. I do want to say that evrybody here has been such a hugh help to me and my furbabies. The info that you all share is life changing ! So Thanks

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info on probiotics. They are (were ) doing well on the Wholelistic and I liked that it had digestive ens as well. I fed a raw homemade diet that they have thrived on. Both have Feline Herpes, so nutrition I feel is important. Iam at work but maybe later I should start a thread on this. I do want to say that evrybody here has been such a hugh help to me and my furbabies. The info that you all share is life changing ! So Thanks
There was a great link that @LTS3 posted about pro-biotics:
Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones

It's a great read!

I know what you mean. The people here have been amazing help and knowledge for me and my babies as well. I will be forever grateful so I will pay it forward as much as I can.

XOXO :hugs:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
F FeralHearts is correct. You do want to ease them into the probiotics. I have one kitty who vomits every time we give her a certain probiotic. I currently use Proviable DC with my gang, but I just started giving one of my kitties saccharomyces boulardii today. I gave him just 1/4 of the capsule to see how he responds to it. So make sure you do a small dose for a couple of feedings and then work up to a full dose.