Is It Ok To Give A Kitten Food For Adult Cats?

nalaragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is almost 11 months old. She seems to grow out of all the wet food I give her. I gave her IAMS chicken in gravy, she loved it at first, then it took hours for her to finish. I have a feeling she grew out of liking it. I switched brands and same thing happened, she loved the wet food, then all of a sudden wouldn't eat it anymore. It's weird. She loves the high quality dry food for kittens that I give her, she isn't tired of that. I just wonder... if I want to try wet food for adults, is that ok? She still has her dry food available, the wet food will only be an occasional treat, for example purina gourmet gold mousse.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can keep an adult on kitten food. Kitten food may have more protein and fat then adult food (depending on where in the world you are), so the only caution would be to pay attention to your cats weight.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

The only difference between kitten food and adult food is that a kitten food will have higher quantities of some nutrients but at a level that is fine for adults. The caution about watching the adults weight is because some, but not all, kitten foods are more calorie dense than adult foods.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 11 months she's just about grown. You can feed her whatever cat food she likes :D. But this is the age some cats start to put on weight so keep an eye on her.